// 030 //

AN HOUR LATER, Naruto Uzumaki could feel the maddening whiplash of his hammering heart

AN HOUR LATER, Naruto Uzumaki could feel the maddening whiplash of his hammering heart. With every single pulse of hot blood rushing through his veins now, he felt more and more unsteady. Sweat had started to layer on his forehead in a film so thin, and Naruto was glad that he could at least somewhat hide the signs of a starting meltdown underneath his trusty baseball cap. It hung low on his eyes when he entered the bar with Kiba - shielding him from penetrating eyes he didn't wish to see.

He followed after the boisterous Inuzuka, his footsteps firm, but cautious across the vast room full of smoke and bitter booze. His fingers fidgeted inside the pockets of his jacket with every single step he took. The night had not even properly started yet, and Naruto already regretted on saying yes to it. Just as they had both started to approach the booth Kiba had earlier pointed towards, he could hear him cuss under his breath quietly as he halted to a sudden stop;

"Shit..."

The concerned tone inside the depth of his voice made Naruto look up. He stared at Kiba with wide open eyes now, panic in its purest form twisting his otherwise sharp features into something almost pitiful. It made Kiba start to worry as he stared at the frustrated Uzumaki, his brows knitting tightly together until the small 'v' had turned prominent right between them.

"W-What is it?", Naruto had actually stuttered, his tongue clumsily rolling over the words without even a drop of alcohol inside his blood. 

"Ah...", Kiba's gaze averted now as he rubbed the back of his neck in slight; albeit obvious discomfort, "It's nothing... Come on, man. Let me introduce you to my friends!"

Naruto was no fool. He had sensed the feigned enthusiasm the Inuzuka was trying to sell. For someone who gravely disliked being bullshitted to, Kiba sure was falling back on his own beliefs at that very moment. Something was wrong, both men knew - however, only one could pinpoint its origin. And it wasn't Naruto.

The Uzumaki closed his mouth shut, his plush lips pressing tightly together as he hung his head low. His gaze now rested on his feet, the black converse shoes he had decided to wear for that night much more interesting that anything else to surround him. He followed after Kiba like the man held him on a leash. It wasn't long until they approached the booth.

"Hey, hey, hey!", Kiba was fast to overtake the table with his cheerful personality as the awfully loud banter fell into curious silence, "Boys, allow me to introduce my good friend Naruto. Also, we're both so very sorry for running late. The pizza was worth it, though."

// Friend... //

"Oh, so he's the one you've been gushing about for a few weeks now, Kiba?"

"Shut it, you mean bastard!"

Naruto watched him sit down with a snicker and a devious flash of sharp canines, and when he looked up, he was met with three pairs of eyes - all of them watching - waiting. He tried to avoid every single piercing stare, and when a hand was extended towards him, he cautiously took it to shake it.