chapter 34

When Clarke woke up that morning, Madi was sleeping next to her. She looked so peaceful and innocent. In that moment, Clarke vowed to herself that no matter what happened next, she'd keep Madi safe from all of it.

She continued staring at Madi until she began to stir. "Morning princess." Clarke greeted, pushing Madi's hair away from her face.

Madi beamed at being called princess and cuddled into Clarke, "Morning." She replied sweetly.

"I don't want to go to school today," Madi sat up with a little pout on her lips.

"How come?" Clarke asked.

"Aden is not there," Madi said, "Please don't make me go."

"How about we take a day off today, just me and you and we can do whatever you want to do." Clarke tickled Madi's side and she giggled at that "but if only you promise tomorrow you going back."

"I Promise."

"I want ice-cream and lollie pops and cake and all the sweet things in the world." Madi jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom to run her bath.

Clarke wondered how Madi could be that happy about a day of ice cream and all the sweet things in the world while Aden was gone. She couldn't quite belive it yet, she kept imagining Aden would show up.

"I don't know if she has registered what it means yet... Death,"

"She asks me when Aden is coming back and I have to explain he isn't. The concept of 'forever' is just not present yet." Abby explained to Clarke.

"I'm scared to go home with her, maybe if we could stay here for a while," Clarke looked up at her mother with pleading eyes.

"This is your home, anytime." Abby stepped closer to Clarke and sat down in front of her, "We'll get through this together." She kissed Clarke's forehead and then stood up, "Now how about breakfast and then a day filled with all sweet things, just us girls and Raven too."

"That sounds perfect mom." Clarke smiled lightly, thankful for the help. They needed a happy moment, a happy day but mostly she needed it.

Clarke made the bed and joined Madi in the bathroom who was busy brushing her teeth.

"Grandma and Aunt Rae are joining our day, is that okay?"

"THAT IS AWESOME!" Madi jumped up and down, "I'm going to wear my sofia dress and frozen flip flops."

"Spoken like a true princess." Clarke helped Madi in the bath and then ran herself a shower the same time.

As she stood under the water, Clarke let it consume her. She wanted to stay there, buried in all that noise of the water hitting her body then the floor, because most times her mind was a racket of its own. She wanted peace and wasn't sure if it was possible anymore.

Her mind was eating itself up and she was exhausted and the hits kept on coming, there was no break in between just punches that never stop.

And she was exhausted from all of it. She kept thinking one more drink would help, it wouldn't be that much of a deal if she just had one glass.

After cleaning up, the girls joined Abby I'm the kitchen for breakfast, Madi had Mickey mouse pancakes that she ate like there was not tomorrow, with lots of syrup.

Clarke was sitting next to Marcus and for the first time she didn't mind his company, she felt safe next to him. She closed her eyes and for a split second it felt as though she was sitting next to Jake, she smiled lightly, pushing back tears.

"Thank you, for yesterday." She said lightly to Marcus.

"Aden was family," He said, "I remember this one time he was so mad that he couldn't understand his maths homework and we sat there," Marcus stared at the dining table, where they sat that day, completely unaware of what the future held.

"He was so mad, but then I explained it to him and the minute he got it, his eyes lit up." Marcus chuckled lightly and Abby listened as well, Clarke wiped at her eyes and smiled too, because it was a happy moment, Aden died but he had happy moments. "He was so happy,"

Before he could add on Raven burst through the door, holding a pink box from the doughnut shop.

"Aunt Rae," Madi jumped up and attacked Raven who almost dropped the box.

"My favorite person," Raven picked Madi up with, "How did you sleep?" She asked

"Like a baby," Madi Beamed, "What's in there." She pointed at the box that was now on the table.

"Doughnuts, thought we could start out sweet day with them."

Madi looked over at Clarke,"Can I?" She asked sweetly.

"Yes you can, but only one for now and the others later."

Madi got away from Raven and went straight for the box.

"How is she?" Raven asked as she sat down next to Clarke.

"I don't know, she seems okay but I'm worried."

"For now let's just hope she's really okay, and Lexa... Her and Anya were talking about a meeting tonight, everyone who was there, in that place they were in is going To be There."

"Lexa right now just makes me furious!" clarke sighed.

"Lexa is grieving same as you, and her way may be different than yours but it's definitely grief and she needs someone through it... Don't forget she spent everyday with that boy training." Raven said getting up from her chair.

"Everyone In the car!" She screamed, "I'm driving us anywhere my little trouble maker wants to go."

"Anywhere!" Madi's eyes lit up.

"Definitely not anywhere." Clarke jumped in, She grabbed Madi's juice bottle and filled it up and joined the others in the car.

"Okay, where to first?" Raven asked.

"Aunt Lexa!" Madi said munching on her second doughnut.

"I think she's busy today," Clarke said as she looked at Madi, "Maybe some other time?"

"No, I want Aunt lexa because you said all the girls and she's a girl too and she let's me sit on her shoulders," Madi pouted, "Please, pretty please, She'll sit right here, there is space for one more person."

"How about we call her and if she's free then we pick her up and if she isn't then next time,"

Clarke took out her phone and dialed Lexa's number, it rang for a few seconds

"Clarke?" She asked, and for a moment, Clarke imagined it like it was the old times, before anything happened, before Lexa disappeared, just when it was them and nothing else.

"Hey Aunt Lex, It's Madi!" Madi jumped in.

"Hey princess, how you doing?" Lexa asked

"I'm awesome, Do you want to have a sweet day with us, with all the fun in the world," Madi said and to her all that made sense but Lexa was confused as hell. "Please, I promise it will be fun."

"How about I talk to Clarke first then I'll talk to you again?"

"Okay but hurry," Everyone laughed at that and Clarke took the phone to her ear.

"I didn't get anything from that."

"Uhh, Madi is having a day off from school and I kind of agreed to a girls day out and she would love if you joined us."

"If that's okay with you yeah I'd love to join."

"Yeah sure... Where do we meet?" Clarke gave Lexa their first location and she'd meet them there.

Clarke dropped the call and smiled lightly at Madi then looked out the window, and it all came back, the beginning and possibly what could be described as the end of her youth, the day she met Lexa Woods, but in all that, if there was a second chance she'd do it all over again.

She'd choose Lexa in a room full of millions of other people.

I have met the love of my life! She's cute and got dimples and her face is stoic but her smile could melt the whole of Antartica. And when she said my name God, I wanted the earth to swallow me whole. Oh God!!! I'm so afraid She'll be the death of me.

She had texted Raven that same day she had met Lexa, it was surefire.