74 - Ex

Trigger warning: this chapter contains graphic descriptions of sexual assault.

Alison
***

I sat down on the living room armchair and curled up, my knees tucked under my chin. My tears were no longer running down my face and all I was left with was haunting emptiness.

Unsurprisingly, Chris came after me. I didn't look at him as he walked down the hallway, but I could tell from the heavy breathing and strained voice he was worried.

"What's wrong Ali? What's happening? Why are you like this?" He asked, placing his hands on my shoulders. I buried my head in my knees.

"Stop Chris, let me be." I begged, but to no avail. My voice was barely a whisper.

"Ali, talk to me, tell me what's wrong." He insisted. My heart was hammering against my chest. I felt like I was going to be sick. With each word that came out of his mouth, my body felt smaller and smaller. I just wanted to disappear, to be alone, to get him away from me.

"Stop, please, just stop." I said, fighting to keep my emotions under control. "Don't touch me, let me go."

"Alison, tell me what's going on, right now!" The pain in his voice was evident, but it didn't pale in comparison to what I was feeling.

When he shook my shoulders to force an answer out of me, I couldn't take it any longer.

"Lilac!" I screamed, getting his hands off me by force. I burst into tears, my voice breaking. My mind was flooded with images of hands groping me. "Lilac, lilac, lilac, lilac!"

He stopped. Finally, he stopped. Chris took a few steps back, shocked at the strength of my words.

"Lilac, lilac..." I trialled off until my voice was barely a whisper. I wrapped my arms around my legs and let my tears stream down my face uncontrollably.

Chris just stood there, watching me in shock. At some point he moved and placed a blanket over me. Even though I had asked him not to touch me, I welcomed that gesture.

The room was dead silent now. At last, silence. Chris was crouched on the floor next to me, but he wasn't touching me.

"Get me a cigarette." I whispered, wiping my tears away. I just needed to calm down and everything would be alright. He jumped up and grabbed the packet I had in my purse. When I lit it, my hands were shaking so violently it took a few tries to light it up.

I inhaled the smoke, puffing it out with a sigh. Chris just watched me in utter silence. I didn't dare look at him because if I did I knew I'd break into a million pieces.

"You're scaring me." He finally spoke up. His voice was so serious I actually believed him. Had my sudden panicked, erratic screaming frightened him? If only he knew why, if only he knew...

"Ali, I know you said the safe word." He spoke again when I didn't answer him. I just smoked, my eyes focused on the ground. "I will respect it, but for the love of God, please tell me what you're feeling. I've never seen you like this. Please baby, tell me, just tell me. I'm scared."

The pain in his voice was heartbreaking. He was probably thinking that my reaction was due to his actions. In a way, it kind of was. He triggered my worst nightmare.

I took a deep breath and looked up at him, my eyes rimmed with tears. I wiped my face with a shaky hand, the reality of what was about to happen sinking in and almost making me pass out.

"Oh God, I don't want to." I said, my stomach contracting painfully.

"Why baby?" Chris' voice was so soft I could tell he was trying his best to soothe me. Little did he know no matter what he did or said, nothing could calm me down.