9 - Bar

Alison
***

I had to go to the bathroom to freshen up. The moment Dr Damon approached me, my body temperature rose to a dangerous level. I could feel sweat on the back of my neck and tapped it with a dampened tissue paper.

Do you think you look good in that dress tonight? Do you think you're all grown up?

"Fuck!" I exclaimed, slamming my hand on the marble counter of the sink.

"What's wrong?" Asked Maddie as she came out from one of the stalls.

"Stubbed my toe." I said, concealing the true reasons of my exasperation.

That was it, he exasperated me.

"I want to get out of here," I said, reaching for a red lipstick from my purse and applying it to my lips. I hadn't worn it during the exhibition, but now that I wanted to hit the bars, I put it on. "I need to drink something stronger than champagne."

Maddie gave me a knowing grin. "Oh girl, you're ready to party! Let's go!"

We left the Kingston Museum at around midnight. We walked to the city center where all the bars were located.

Maddie took me to "Alegro Alley" as it was commonly known. This small nook, tucked away in the city, was where the best bars with the cheapest drinks were sold.

The alley was brightly lit, each bar having it's own distinct style. Some resembled cafés, others were more catered to dancing. There was even a cowboy themed one.

I was loving it so far.

We walked into the bar that resembled a club the most. All we wanted was disco lights, a big dance floor, and shots.

"To a year of shitty artwork and wild nights!" Maddie toasted as we took a shot of tequila.

We danced for a whole hour, drinking shots every now and again. I had probably had four or five by one in the morning.

"Hey, I want to check out the cowboy bar! I heard they have a mechanical bull!" Said Maddie, her make-up slightly smeared from sweating

I agreed and left the bar. Alegro Alley was now packed full with people, so I clutched Maddie's purse so we wouldn't get separated as we made our way across the street.

As we entered the cowboy style bar appropriately named 'Rodeo', I made my way to the counter and asked for more shots, this time vodka.

"Calm down cowgirl! It looks like you're trying to forget someone!" Maddie commented. She was just messing with me, but still my heart hammered in my chest when she said that.

"Let's go." I grabbed her arm and dragged her to the dance floor.

That bar was incredibly fun. They only played country hits, Shania Twain being the most played artist, of course. All the girls in the bar made their way to the dance floor when "I Feel Like a Woman" started playing.

More drinks, more dancing. My head started spinning. I lost track of time and of how many shots I had in my system.

And then I saw him, relaxed and jovial, having a beer with Mr. Kent and a few other guys.