66 - Car

Christopher
***

I was parked outside the airport at seven in the afternoon, leaning against my car door, a cigarette between my lips. Ali had texted me saying her plane had landed, so it was only a matter of minutes before she'd get to our agreed location. I was both excited and nervous to see her again.

I wasn't sure how to bring up the fact that Kent knew I was seeing someone, but I absolutely had to tell her. On the night that Barbara tried to kiss me I was so hurt by her words that I abandoned the idea of calling Ali and telling her then. All I wanted to do was sleep and forget about everything.

I made up an excuse the morning after the incident and left after breakfast, saying that something came up at work. Kent, who had the biggest hangover, made a stupid joke about me going to see my new girlfriend. I rolled my eyes at him but didn't contradict his statement. It was better for him to believe I was leaving because I wanted to get laid than to know the truth about what his sister had done.

Barbara's face turned white when she heard Kent confirm I was in a relationship. She had no idea I was seeing someone when she tried to kiss me, so it was pretty ironic that she was trying to forget her cheating husband at the expense of me cheating. She was so embarrassed that she even left the room to avoid saying the polite goodbyes and wish me a safe drive home.

One hour after I left, Barbara texted me apologizing for her behavior and words. I would have preferred it if she had said it to my face, but I guess this would do.

I had to remember she was going through the hardest part fo her divorce, and as much as it pained me to admit it, I did relate to her a little bit. I knew what it felt like to have your world turned upside down in a day and how disorienting, unfair, and hopeless it felt.

When I finally got home, I felt a huge sense of relief. When I was alone, I could finally stop lying to everyone and putting up a front.

I'd only have to wait a few days before Ali returned and lessons started. I kept myself occupied by preparing my lectures for the upcoming semester, publishing the exam grades online, stocking up the fridge and pantry, going to the gym, cleaning the house from top to bottom. I even found some time to paint.

I remembered when I released the Art History grades and Ali called me minutes later. She was upset she didn't get an A, but I explained to her she had one of the highest grades of the whole class and that appeased her. I had purposefully made the exam harder this year so I wasn't tempted to give her an A. In the end, I ended up not giving anyone an A. Problem solved.

As I finished my cigarette, my nerves slightly at bay, I saw her figure in the distance emerging from the airport building. When she saw me she hurried her pace, a wide smile stretching across her face.

My heart skipped a beat at the sight of her. Her hair, which had grown just below her shoulders, was dancing in the wind, her jacket zipped up all the way, leaving only her face visible.

Fucking finally.

I pushed my back off the car but didn't walk towards her. When she sped up and started skipping, I smiled with my whole teeth. I extended my arms when she was a few feet away. When our bodies collided, I squeezed her body in a tight hug. The countdown was finally over. She was here and I wouldn't let her out of my sight.

We were completely out in the open, but I didn't care. I kissed the top of her forehead, smelling the lilac perfume in her hair.