49 - Privilege

Alison
***

The first day in Paris was memorable despite the collective feeling of tiredness. After having something for breakfast/lunch, we went to Sacré Coeur and explored the beautiful Cathedral. The views from the top of the hill were exquisite. Mr. Turner and Professor Damon told us to sketch whatever we wanted around the place and so Maddie and I decided to sketch the cathedral itself.

We must've been a sight to behold, a bunch of college students just scattered around the place, sketching whatever they found interesting. I could tell the tourists were interested in us as well as the locals. Some teenagers asked us what we were doing and where we were from. I gladly talked to them, finding it fun to use some french slang. We also had the occasional child who approach us shyly and asked us to see our drawings.

At 9 o'clock, our teachers let us decide where we wanted to have dinner. Maddie and I decided to join David and his friends and we went to a bistro in the Montmartre neighborhood. That whole neighborhood was so scenic, the small, European style houses breathtaking. Everyone asked me for help to decipher the menu which was completely in French. I had to admit, I loved the attention I was getting, but I would have swapped that night in a heartbeat for a dinner with Chris.

"Hey, who's excited for tomorrow?" Asked Maddie, drinking her cold sparkling water. "I've literally been dreaming of the Louvre for the past week."

"The d'Orsay is going to be life-changing, I'm telling you." Said one of David's friends.

"I'm just afraid we won't get any sleep tonight and not enjoy tomorrow." I said, swirling my pasta in my fork. "Our bodies think it's lunchtime and we probably should be going to sleep in a few hours..."

"Girl, I know exactly what we're gonna do so that when we get to the hotel we'll fall asleep instantly." Said David with a twinkle in his eye. "Let's finish eating and we'll go back to the hotel, put on some party clothes, and then we'll go to one of those clubs I told you about."

"We have a curfew at midnight, remember David?" Warned Maddie.

He swatted his hand in the air. "So what? When will you ever party in Paris again? This is our only chance, we have to take it. Do you want to tell your grandkids you had a great time in Paris or not?"

I had to admit, his argument was convincing. None of us was even close to being tired, so we really needed to waste our energies by dancing and having a few drinks.

We arrived at the hotel at around ten thirty. Each of us went to our rooms and put on some going out clothes. Maddie put on a blue top, so to match with her and create the french flag, I wore a red one. Red was definitely my color.

Since it was a weekday, the streets weren't that packed, but you could still get a sense of the nightlife. Since it was legal to drink from the age of 18, you'd see many young people in the streets sipping alcohol. It was quiet a different culture, seeing so many people just partying in the streets. We, however, had other plans. When we got into a club David was dying to go to, it was evident we were in a gay bar. I didn't mind it one bit because I was with my friends and I only wanted to dance and drink.

As expected, everyone asked for my help to get drinks. Just like in the restaurant, I loved getting all the attention. I ordered a few rounds of drinks, a rush of confidence coursing through me.

As we danced in the dance floor, I felt my phone vibrate inside my purse. I got it out, my eyes bulging out when I saw Chris' name. Maddie was standing right next to me, she could have easily seen it. I turned the brightness down and read the text.