58 - "Work For It"

Alison
***

I woke up to a pair of hands touching my skin, lips kissing my cheek, and a soft voice calling my name.

"Ali, it's time to wake up."

I shifted under the sheets, rubbing my eyes. When I opened then, Chris was kneeling in front of me, already fully dressed. He must have been dead quiet as he got ready because I didn't hear a thing.

"What time is it?" I asked as he took my hands and kissed my knuckles.

"I told you you'd sleep til noon."

My eyes bulged open. "What? Ah shit, I thought you weren't serious. There goes my study schedule out the window."

"Hey, you desperately needed sleep." He said, kissing my cheek again. "And it's not out the window. I set up a study area for you."

I raised an eyebrow, lifting the sheets. "You did?"

"Yeah. The whole purpose of us being apart was for you to focus. Now that you're here I'll make sure of it."

I got dressed into my everyday clothes, brushed my teeth and washed my face. After that, I made my way to the living room.

Chris had set the dining table with everything I needed: a lamp, my laptop, my written notes. He had even prepared some green tea.

"Aw Chris, you didn't have to." I said, taking my seat at the table. Only then did I notice the chocolate chip cookies next to the tea.

"I wanted to." He replied. He then shot me a handsome smile. "Now, you're gonna study while I prepare lunch. I know this will be almost impossible for you, but you must under no circumstance get up and help me."

I chuckled. "I give you my word I won't do anything to importune your cooking."

We settled into comfortable silence as I opened up my Art History notes and Chris got to cooking. It was impossible not to look his way once in a while. I'd look away when I sensed he was going to look at me so he wouldn't catch me not paying attention to my work.

"Don't forget to add salt to the pasta." I teased, knowing I'd get a comeback.

"I'm not that incompetent, thank you very much." He said rather dramatically.

I giggled at his playfulness. I wondered if his good humor was due to me being there after so long.

When he was done with the pasta, he made his way to the table. He rested his arm on the back of my chair, looking down at my notes.

"I should have guessed you'd be the type to use mind-maps." He said, admiring my colorful notes.

I was a visual learner through and through. I found it incredibly useful to organize my notes in mind-maps to connect all the topics. In this case, since it was Art History, the information was organized by artistic movement and then sub-divided into artists.

"It's a bit childish, but it helps me visualize."

He leaned forward and took a pencil from my pencil case. He went over everything I had written line by line, using the pencil to guide his reading. I looked at his toned arm and burly hand as he went over the A3 paper, deep in concentration.