73 - Rough

Trigger warning: this chapter contains graphic descriptions of sexual assault.

Christopher
***

After our make up dinner, I proceeded with caution the next few weeks. Ali had all the right to be upset, and even though I did my very best to make her feel comfortable around me, I knew we needed to give things time to solidify once again.

Looking back on that night, I was so surprised when she said she wanted to stay the night. It was all the confirmation I needed to truly believe that she was ready to move forward. I felt so relieved that she wanted to stay with me. Holding her close through the night showed me she felt safe in my arms, and knowing that she was comfortable enough to give me that trust reassured me so much.

When I woke up the morning after, I did everything to make Ali feel appreciated and valued. I got up early and made her breakfast, serving it on a tray so she could have it in bed. I woke her up softly, not wanting to startle her. Ali opened her eyes slowly, but as soon as she realized I was carrying a tray full of her favorite foods she immediately sat up, covering her mouth in surprise.

"For me?" She exclaimed, reaching her arms forward as I placed the tray on top of her legs. I nodded, kissing her forehead.

Making sure she felt appreciated wasn't the only reason why I made her breakfast. We needed to have a serious conversation about how we'd conduct ourselves in public from that day on, and I wanted her to feel no animosity towards me.

"Ali, I think we need to have a conversation about our rules. I want to change one of them."

As she drank her hot chocolate, I told her we wouldn't be able to see each other at Evergreen ever, not even in my office with the door locked. I was super gentle as I delivered the news of my decision. She fell very quiet.

"What do you think Ali?" I asked, her silence giving me anxiety.

She shrugged her shoulders, her lips downturned. "It is what it is."

It was clear the decision didn't make her happy, but we had to be stricter with ourselves or else we risked getting caught. Both Kent and Professor Agnes were on the lookout, so if one of them ever saw Ali and I have a simple joyful conversation in the corridor or exchange a smile in the cafeteria, they'd know my angry outburst when we were caught was all an act.

"I'm going to do all my work during the week so I have all my time for you on the weekend, alright sweetheart?"

She nodded, not looking at me. I lifted her chin, sensing her sadness.

"Things aren't going to change that much. Weekends will still be ours to enjoy, and during the rest of the week we focus on our work. Simple."

"I guess so..." she replied. Then, she shook her head, like she was shaking her disappointment away. "No, you're right. This is what needs to be done, whether we like it or not."

As the weeks went by we slowly but surely found our rhythm again. After two weeks she let me touch her, and so I gave a her night filled with all the things she loved.

Now my days in my office at Evergreen were spent selfishly wishing she'd knock on my door, breaking our rules. Knowing that she wouldn't come see me under any circumstance made my days so boring, but this was for the best.