Chapter 1 - Soulmates

Consider giving a follow and an upvote!

Also if you have time, visit my kp-fi page!
https://ko-fi.com/havenesa

*****
A person's soul is separate, but connected to their physical self. If the physical body dies, the soul will remain intact, to go wherever it needs to go, while the body stays to be consumed by the earth.

A soul mark is a connection to one's soul, a window to their heart and desires. It is a link from their soul to another.

A soulmate is what comes to be when individual souls come to bond together, where emotions are shared and a bond of dependence is formed. Only those with the same marks can be soulmates, and only are they destined to be with one another, where one's soul can be fully completed with another.

That is, what is taught at every school in South Korea, to simpler versions of true love in elementary schools to the soul links in high-school, and where one can choose to learn the more complex nature of the soul and the soul marks.

However, despite the concept of soulmates lasting through the centuries, the relative science behind the soul is still new. Where everyday discovery comes to light and contradicts the very foundation of soulmates where imperfections and outliers cause once solid theories to be thrown out the trash. The complexity of the soul and one's heart, can never truly be understood through a scientist's or a philosophers point of view.
Those who truly understand the nature of the souls are the ones who have experienced the breaking of one.

*****

"Can anyone tell me their own thoughts about soulmates?" A comforting smile on her lips, as she clasped her hands together, waiting for one of her students to speak their thoughts. Yet, even with the murmured whispers overlapping the class, no one dared to raise their hands and share their thoughts with the entirety. A mixture of fear of saying something embarrassing out loud.

Until one hand rose, and so did the excitement of the teacher as she happily pointed to a student in the middle of the room, and the class murmurs hushed within seconds, "Soulmates are individuals with the same marks, whose soul is bonded with one another." It was a plain response, and the teacher's smile dimmed a bit, as she had expected a more personal answer or a different one.

"Yes, in its purest forms, that is what every textbook says about what soulmates are. However, do you mind sharing your own personal thoughts about them?" She tried to persuade, and the student who answered shrinked back, and so did the murmurs erupt again only for it to die down just as quickly when another began to answer.

"Soulmates are those who love each other, complete one another. They were destined for eachother, so even when one of them has their downs, the other will pick them up. An unbreakable bond between individuals, even if one day they end up parting, their impact on that person will be permanent, whether good or bad."

It was another response the teacher didn't expect, "Can you explain further by what you mean by 'good or bad?'"

"Soulmates are not guaranteed happiness, that is how I view things. To me, they can take multiple forms, a partnership, a friendship or even romance. Soulmates are the ones who leave the biggest impact on your soul, whether they complete it , heal it, or break it. They are the ones who teach your soul a lesson, and it can be whatever, a lesson to love yourself, or even a lesson to hate yourself. That is what I think a soulmate is."

The teacher stayed silent momentarily, clutching onto her right elbow with her left hand, where underneath the jacket is where the curving of black lines intricately drew itself on her skin. An emotion that she couldn't describe overwhelmed her into silence, as her eyes stared into the dark brown eyes of the student who answered, unwavering eyes that were so sure of her answers that she didn't even care if the other students looked at her weirdly.