twenty-three: golden boy

Mulai dari awal

Hoshi is the only son, he has an older sister who wanted to have a quiet life and who now lives with her husband in a secluded area, the land is owned by the Cho's but it had been unoccupied for a while.

His dad calls him golden boy, if Hoshi gets a good grade, it's a 'Good job, son.' If he fails a test, 'That's okay, son.' Learns a new skill, 'Good job, son.' Get's beat up by a girl after school, 'That's okay, son.' Hoshi can't remember the last time he had a real conversation with his dad, just a good job or a pat on the back is how his dad communicates to him. He doesn't understand why he is called a golden boy, Hoshi doesn't see anything he can offer to the world at all.

Hoshi probably has it better than a lot of other kids, at least he has a figure who actually appreciates them, but Hoshi doesn't feel any appreciation. Maybe because he really doesn't appreciate himself. He just wishes that his dad could talk to him, tell him what's right and wrong, why he can do this but not that.

Hoshi would never admit it but, he loves it when people actually talk to him, even if it's negative. He fees if he didn't constantly have attention from his peers, he'll be nothing at all. Hoshi envies Inari and Hayase, he looks at the way they just—do. So effortlessly and without any fear, he wishes he could swap bodies with one of them, just for a day.

A twig snapped.

He quietly gasped and hid behind a tree. Hoshi leaned and looked over, there was Hayase being carried by a girl.

The girl stopped walking and looked in Hoshi's direction, his eyes went wide and he turned back around.

He gulped, his sweaty hand clenched onto the kunai handle. His chest rose and fell quickly, before he held his breath. Praying that the girl didn't see him.

"Dammit, Hoshi snap out of it!" He thought to himself while his eyes were sealed shut. Hoshi had to come up with a plan to save Hayase—and quickly.

"What would Inari do?....she would probably distract the girl and grab him...and Hayase? He would also wait and carefully wait for the perfect moment. I'll do what Hayase does." Hoshi looked back and to his horror, the girl was gone.

He took a deep shaky breath and closed his eyes, "Hayase is out of the table...what do I do, what do I do?"

Hoshi paused.

"What would I do?"

"I would stay quiet and listen to the forest, like Hayase and clear the state of mind, I would stay on guard and go for it when I find the opportunity, like Inari."

He nodded his head in approval. Hoshi is a learner and observer, maybe he can't be Inari and Hayase, but  he can combine their methods and make it make sense for Hoshi.

"Hello."

Hoshi flinched and gasped, the girl who was originally holding Hayase was hanging her legs on a branch, her creepily, large eyes stared into his soul. Hoshi was even more creeped out from her blank expression, it was like Inari's but ten times worse. He also noticed that Hayase wasn't there, his eyes squinted at her.

The girl hopped down and pointed at his pants, "Scroll." She spoke with a quiet, soft voice. Hoshi looked at her confused, "I don't have the..." He looked down and saw the scroll so obviously sticking out of his pocket.