"This is most singular," said Timeon. "He Who Sits On The Porch counsels only the elite of heroes, manifesting so rarely that his very existence is doubted in many circles. Votarius wrote a monograph on the subject and will no doubt wish to question you at length about your encounter. But later. For now, suffice to say that the manifestation of He Who Sits On The Porch only confirms the words of the Luminous Oracle of Mount Suradel."

"The Luminous Oracle spoke of me?" The Luminous Oracle was honored above all other holy prognosticators. His pronouncements were rare, but always accurate. Or such was his reputation. "What did he say?" I asked.

"That you are Arden's only hope," said Timeon.

"Oracular pronouncements are notoriously vague and subject to many interpretations," said Mercury.

Timeon sighed. "Votarius, would you read the transcript of the Luminous Oracle's pronouncement?"

The younger wizard unrolled a parchment scroll. "These are the words of the infallible Luminous Oracle of Mount Suradel: 'Jason Cosmo is the key to victory or defeat for a thousand years. The fate of the Next Age rests in his hands.' End quote."

"You're mad, the lot of you," said Merc. 

"And you are a blind, stubborn fool!" raged Votarius, rising from his seat. He jabbed an accusing finger at Merc. "The threat of the Dark Magic Society is plain, yet you deny it!"

"And I suppose the League is a harmless flock of lambs?"

"Would that we numbered a flock!" countered Votarius. "The Society now owns the allegiance of half the arcane masters left in the Eleven Kingdoms! The League has now but four masters left!"

"I count only three," said Merc.

"Then you fail to count me," said Raella softly.

"You, Raella?" Mercury's angry expression morphed into shock, hurt, perhaps even fear. "You stand with the League?" He paused. "I would not have thought it possible." He fell silent, seemingly overcome by a wave of emotion. Abruptly, he stalked across the room, turning his back to the group, with head bowed and fists clenched at his sides. 

The queen was stricken by his reaction. A flush colored her pale cheeks. She almost rose to go to him, but, with royal restraint, kept her place. Yet her eyes followed Mercury.

Ignoring their distress, Votarius continued his account of the present danger. "At the lesser ranks, two in every three known wizards are in the Society's thrall, along with dozens of apprentices. Meantime, the League's ranks are thinned by murder, desertion, and subversion. Soon, the Society will hold a monopoly on the magic arts, by which to further their aims of world domination."

"As opposed to the League's mission of making the world a safe and happy place for all," sneered Merc.

As Votarius drew breath to respond, Timeon silenced him with an upraised hand. The old wizard leaned forward on his staff. His gaze bored into mine. "Jason Cosmo, we only wish to impress upon you the extent of the threat to the freedom of Arden. The League of Benevolent Magic was founded to prevent the Society from gaining dominion over the peoples of the world. For nearly one thousand years, we have exposed their plots, defended against their attacks, rooted out the corruption they spread. Many fine wizards have devoted themselves to this cause, even at the cost of their own lives. Yet now our numbers dwindle while the Society grows stronger. Our ancient foes may be on the brink of total victory."

"What do you mean?"

Votarius took up his pitch with renewed fervor. "Master Timeon speaks true. The Society has pawns everywhere. War captains, nobles, ministers of state, priests, merchants, even monarchs are under their sway. Their tentacles extend throughout the Eleven Kingdoms and beyond. There can be no doubt! We are in the final stages of the final conflict! Our enemy is poised for total victory! Only you can save us!"