forty-six

Edlyn closed the door behind her and looked around her house, it still felt empty. She put her bag in her room and went straight to Jake's room. It had become her daily routine to take a rest for a few hours in his room.

She hummed a melody and opened the door. To her surprise, Jake was eating his medicine but gagged it, startled at her barging in. Her eyes widened and she stood at the door in shock, couldn't believe what she was seeing in front of her eyes.

"So you've been coming to my room when I'm not around?" He asked out of annoyance. She couldn't speak anything. She walked slowly towards him before pulling him into a hug, burying her face into his chest.

"Don't scare me like that! Why didn't you wake up earlier?! I needed you!" She cried. He chuckled softly and patted her back gently to comfort her, "I tried. Thank God I am already conscious now."

He looked at her, furrowing his eyebrows. "Now the question is, do you always stay in my room when I'm not around? Without my permission?"

She looked away and cleared her throat awkwardly, "I sleep better...when I'm in your room..."

He chuckled and stared at her for a while. She looked at him confusedly and tried to avoid his gaze, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

He grabbed her by the waist, pulling her into a kiss. She wrapped her arms around his neck and deepened the kiss.

They both lay on his bed, talking and giggling with each other. Edlyn thought for a while, "Since we got married too early. I've been thinking about the things we could do as a couple."

Jake looked at her with focused eyes, waiting for her to continue. "We could exercise together like jogging at the park. Maybe go to the amusement park together? Then go on dates to luxury restaurants. And then spend the time at the beach together."

"Or go to the mint choco factory."

She looked at him excitedly, "Are you serious?!"

"No."

She rolled her eyes and glared at him, "Yet you still take my ice cream and milk."

He laughed before asking, "When did you start to fall in love with me?"

She thought for a while, "Probably when you started hanging out with Sorin too often. I felt jealous and then I realised it was because I like you."

"So dramatic," he teased. She glared at him, "At least I wasn't the one who almost gave up because Heeseung likes me."

He glared at her, "Do not remind me of that."

She smirked, "So, how long have you been hating Heeseung because he likes me?"

"I don't hate him. I'm just jealous," he mumbled. "You do know that you look like a kid right now," she joked. He pouted, "No I don't."

"Yes, you are."

He sighed before hovering on top of her, smirking, "Am I a kid to you now?"

She coughed nervously and was about to push him away but he was too strong. She smirked and wrapped her arms around his neck, "I'm not scared."

He nodded, "We can make a baby now if you want."

Her eyes widened and she pushed him away, "No!"

She immediately got up and ran out of the room. She rushed into her room and locked the door, leaning against it.

Daera tried to turn on her car but it wouldn't budge. She groaned frustratedly and got out of it. She looked around and saw people already leaving the parking lot, leaving her and only Sunghoon who was walking towards his car.

She looked at him and immediately avoided his gaze when he saw her. He scoffed and got into his car before looking at her standing like a statue next to her car door.

"I should help her," he frowned, "But I don't want to." He looked at her again before sighing, "But as much of a jerk I am, I'm still a gentleman."

He opened the car door to get out before walking toward her. She looked at him confusedly, "What are you doing-"

"Your car's battery is dead. It's already night time and I don't think there's a workshop that's still open."

"So what am I going to do? Leave it here for the night?"

He looked at her blankly, "Yes."

"What if people steal my car? It costs me half a kidney to buy this," she whined. He exhaled out of annoyance, "People won't steal your car if you have the car keys. You're quite stupid for a medical student."

"Yah!"

"You're talking informally to me? I'm your professor," he glared. She apologised and stared at her shoes. He fixed his coat and walked ahead of her, "Come. I'll send you home."

"I don't want you to know my address!"

"Then are you going to sleep here for the night? The university is quite haunted. And there are no buses around at this hour," he smirked. One thing Daera feared the most were ghosts. She gulped in fear and gave in, following him towards his car.

She got in and put on her seatbelt, looking at the car interior in awe. Sunghoon and his friends were rich. It wasn't a surprise since they're neurosurgeons. The screen lit up and a girl's name was displayed, signalling that she was calling him.

He frowned and swiped left to end the call. She scoffed, "You just asked me out before and now you're seeing someone else?"

"That was my sister."

Her eyes widened and she cupped her mouth, "I'm sorry, I didn't know-"

"Accusing people is not good. You look stupid," he said blankly. The car ride was filled with only sounds of soft breathing. None of them started a conversation after the awkward accusation.