forty-four

Sunghoon pouted as he walked towards Edlyn's room. He saw Jay sitting next to the bed as he watched her sleeping. He approached his friend before sitting on the chair across from him.

"What's up with you?" Jay looked at him with a frown. He sighed, "You've known Daera for years, right?" Jay fixed his posture and hummed in response. Sunghoon exhaled tiredly and buried his face into the bed, "Why won't she like me?"

"Like you? What do you mean?"

"She won't accept my proposal of taking her out on a date."

Jay's heart dropped and he looked away, "You like her, huh?"

"A lot," Sunghoon confessed. "She is pretty hard to win over," Jay said as he lowered his gaze.

Does this mean Sunghoon and I like the same girl? He thought. I've liked her for years, even after she rejected me. I know I had to move on but I never thought of it. I just thought maybe I could like her secretly. But at one point, I have to move on.

Sunghoon could probably win her over easily. And someday, I have to pull myself together and watch them date each other. Because she will never be mine. And I will never be hers.

She probably has my heart but I'm not sure if I have hers. I think it's time to let go.

"You can't just expect girls to like you just like that. Some women don't fall in love very easily and one of them is her."

Sunghoon frowned and closed his eyes, feeling tired and frustrated.

Weeks have passed. Still no signs of Jake waking up. Edlyn's ears have recovered and she could hear sounds again around her. She watched as Daera helped her pack her stuff.

"When do you think he'll wake up?" She asked her friend. Daera smiled, "He will. Trust me. He's still fighting to wake up."

"I shouldn't have asked him to send me home."

"Stop blaming yourself, Edlyn. He's still alive. That's what matters now. Now all you need to do is to attend your classes as usual and wait for him at home. He will go back home to you."

She nodded slowly and watched as Daera zipped her luggage. They both went to the lobby and she waited for Daera to bring her car to the entrance.

Edlyn opened the door to her home and sighed as she looked around. She opened the door to her room and saw her bed clean and tidy. She put her bags on the floor and immediately went to Jake's room. She looked around and sat at the edge of the bed until a small picture frame caught her eyes.

It was on the small table that he put his candles. She walked towards it and it was a picture of her smiling at the mall.

He must've taken it secretly when we were shopping with his grandmother in Australia.

She took out her phone and dialled his number. The call went straight to voicemail and she smiled when his voice appeared, "This is Jake. Please leave a message."

She called it over and over again, just to hear his voice. She laid down on his bed and closed her eyes, still listening to the message.