sixteen

"Use these scissors to cut the skin apart," Jake briefed the instructions before letting his students perform surgery on the cadavers. Edlyn folded her arms as she glared at Sorin who stood near him, smiling to herself. Sunghoon and Heeseung were also there to examine the students' progress.

"You may begin," Jake announced. She was about to go to her cadaver until Hojun bumped into her shoulder on purpose, "Sorry," he smirked. She fell to the floor and winced in pain, trying to stand up.

Heeseung was about to help her but Jake spoke up, "Be careful Park Edlyn! Are you going to be this clumsy in the emergency room later?!"

Edlyn blushed due to embarrassment and silently walked to her cadaver. Daera sighed and whispered, "He didn't have to be so harsh on you. That jerk Hojun was the one who pushed you on purpose," she glanced at Hojun who was putting on his gloves and mask, "Look at that bastard, he's just studying here to provoke you. He could have selected other universities to study at but he chose here."

Edlyn gulped as she looked at the cadaver in front of her. The skin was yellowish and the smell was so strong. She wanted to vomit but she pulled herself together, taking a deep breath. She slowly took the small knife and cut the skin. She watched Daera already cutting the skin apart.

Pull yourself together, Edlyn. You will not embarrass yourself in front of everyone.

The smell was too strong, making her head spin. She gagged and puked, earning attention from everyone. Hojun laughed and whispered to his friend next to him. Jake sighed out of annoyance, "Park Edlyn, leave the room. Now! If you're not going to be serious you might as well leave the class!"

She cupped her mouth and ran out of the room, rushing towards the toilet. She washed her mouth and stared at herself in the mirror. She took off her coat and washed the vomit that was on it.

Heeseung looked at Jake, "Don't you think you're being too harsh on her?"

"She's interrupting other people during the test. If she's not going to be serious, she should leave."

"You don't know the real story of why she doesn't like blood," he said before rushing out of the room to search for Edlyn. He exhaled heavily when he saw her sitting on a bench in the hallway. She was crying, lowering her head. She clenched her coat and sobbed quietly alone.

He slowly approached her and sat next to her, "Are you okay?"

"I'm going to fail the test, am I?" She asked, wiping her tears. He gave her a handkerchief for her to wipe her tears. She avoided his gaze, "I'm a pathetic loser. I shouldn't have agreed to become a surgeon in the first place!"

"I used to vomit when I had to perform surgery on a cadaver. The smell was just too strong. But it's part of the process of being a surgeon. You just had to bear with it. And Jake is pretty strict when he's teaching so he might be harsh on his students."

"No, he's just harsh at me. Did you look at how he treated Sorin there? He was encouraging her and comforting her when she made a mistake. No wonder he was sucking her face off the other day."

"You were doing great, Edlyn. And if you want to stop doing the test then it's fine. You can rest for a while," he comforted her. She looked at him and smiled, "I'll stay here for a while. I'll be in your class later."

He nodded and left her, walking back to the class. Edlyn exhaled tiredly as she leaned back against the wall. She imagined her father's happy face if she graduated medical school and became one of the best surgeons next to Jay.

Daera sighed and closed her eyes tiredly as she fixed her posture from slouching too long. Sunghoon approached her and took notes of her progress in his notepad. She glanced at him, "Is this okay? I'm almost done with the surgery."

"You're doing great," he said, "By the way, what's your problem with that kid, Hojun?" He asked as he was curious about why she kept glaring at the male from afar. She chuckled, "That bastard broke my friend's heart. And dared to provoke her just because he wanted to take over the hospital. That will never happen because Mr Park already decided that it will be given to his daughter. He's just being delusional."

He nodded slowly, trying to process the information. He didn't realise he was standing so close to her that she started sighing out of annoyance, "Sorry if I offend you but can you move? I'm trying to concentrate here."

"Wow, usually girls would tell me to stay close to them," he smirked. She glared at him before pointing the scissors she was holding at him, "Not me. I will not be involved in a relationship with a jerk playboy who can't keep his thing in his pants."

He was taken aback and watched her as she moved to the other side of the table with widened eyes. "No one has ever said that to me before," he mumbled quietly before moving to the other students' table.