forty-five

Edlyn exhaled heavily as she put on her surgical scrub. It was the day of her final surgery exam and she promised herself not to run away or feel sick when she cut the cadaver's skin apart. She tied her hair and fixed her makeup in front of the mirror before grabbing her bag.

She drank a cup of water before leaving the house. Since Jake wasn't there to send her, she was back to her old routine, catching the earliest bus to the university. She smiled as she looked at the blue sky. Trees were green and the air was unexpectedly fresh.

She saw her bus arrive and quickly ran towards it. She sat at the front seat and stared at the view outside, hoping to pass the test.

She walked through the hallway silently, ignoring the people around her. "Yah, Park Edlyn!" An annoying voice called. She frowned and turned around, facing Hojun who was approaching her.

"I see you got your hearing back," he smirked, "Are you sure your husband is still alive?"

She kept quiet and glanced at her watch to check the time. He felt annoyed, "I'm surprised he didn't die like your mom."

She glared at him and was about to respond until Daera walked towards them, about to punch him but Edlyn stopped her.

"Yah, you're too brave and arrogant for an ugly man like you. Don't forget that you're one of the suspects of the accident and the police are still investigating. If I find out you're the one who planned all this, I will kill you with my own hands," Daera warned. He scoffed and fixed his collar before leaving them.

"He's too desperate for the director's position that he will never get. What a sore loser," she snapped angrily.

Edlyn chuckled and held both of her friend's shoulders, pulling her to class. They both went into the room where the exam will be held and stood at the front table. Cadavers were already on the table.

Edlyn gulped nervously before putting on her gloves and mask. Heeseung, Jay and Sunghoon were the ones that will examine them. She leaned towards Daera, "By the way, what happened between you and Sunghoon?"

"He asked me out."

She widened her eyes, "Really?! Then what did you say?"

"I refused."

Edlyn nodded slowly, "Great, I think it's better not to fool around with guys like him. You'll get hurt at the end."

"Not gonna lie, if I'm stupid, I want to date him. But I'm not."

"I can see that he's trying to avoid eye contact. I've never seen him like this before. Maybe he really likes you. Who knows?"

"I'll graduate and become a surgeon first. In that way, I don't have to be those naive students that cry when they get dumped by their doctor boyfriends," Daera frowned, keeping her gaze at the cadaver.

Edlyn chuckled in amusement. Heeseung asked for the students' attention and Jay started briefing the instructions and the scores that they had to reach.

Edlyn smiled as she was already in the middle of sewing the skin back. She finished with the test and raised her hand, signalling the professors that she was done with the cadaver. Jay smiled happily and announced, "Park Edlyn has finished! You may leave the room."

She glanced at Daera and looked at her confusedly. She was a bit later than usual. Daera was one of the students who finished early and always got good grades. Daera looked at her and motioned her to get out, "I'm fine. Leave and mind your own business."

Edlyn nodded and whispered goodbye before leaving the room. She walked back and forth in the hallway, hoping for her friend to finish early.

She glanced to her right and saw her father walking towards her with assistants behind him. She quickly ran to him, "Dad!"

Mr Park chuckled softly, "What's with the running?"

"Guess what happened. I didn't feel sick during the cadaver test!"

He nodded proudly, "That's my daughter. But I do hope for better progress than feeling sick and puking in the test room."

"Maybe I'll... I'll try to perform surgery on real people and not feel sick when I see blood?"

He nodded and patted her head gently, "I look forward to it."

He left her as he talked with his assistant. She turned around to look at him, watching him disappear from her sight.