twenty-six

Edlyn kept her eyes wide open for the whole night. She couldn't sleep after thinking of her mother and the man that she saved. She glanced at Jake that was already sleeping in his bed. She got up and tried to search for her cardigan in the dark bedroom before leaving.

She left the house quietly and walked to the lake. She took off her shoes and walked into the lake, feeling the cold water but she didn't care. She hugged herself and let the wind push her hair backwards.

It was 4 in the morning and the sky was still black. She closed her eyes and imagined her mother forgiving her, which she believed would take a hundred years to happen.

"What are you doing?" Jake startled her. She flinched and accidentally stepped on a rock, falling into the water. Her body shivered in the cold and she gritted her teeth in anger, "You!"

He laughed and sat on the ground, watching her get out of the water, "Who told you to go in there?"

"I was having an alone time and you just had to ruin it!"

"Alone time?" He scoffed, "Do you think we're in a drama or something?"

"I'm wet now!" She groaned frustratedly, "This is all your fault! I was just going to let my feet wet. Not my whole body!"

He stood up and walked towards her. She gulped in fear and pushed him on the chest, "Stay back." Her heart thumped quickly and her stomach started to produce butterflies, "I said stay back," her voice trembled.

He smirked and grabbed her by the waist, "You're wet?"

She smacked him, "I didn't mean it like that! What the hell!"

He laughed, amused at her reaction. "We're married, right? There's no reason to be shy with all these things. We can get straight to the baby-making part later."

"You bastard," she cursed and pushed him into the lake. He shivered and glared at her, "What the hell?"

"Payback!" She shouted before running back into the house.

Jake and Edlyn ran around the living room. He clenched his fists, "Come here. You pushed me into the water on purpose!"

"You did it first!" She stood at the corner, avoiding him. They didn't notice their grandparents who were watching them from the stairs. They were making so much noise that it woke the old couple up.

"Do they have to chase after each other at 4 in the morning?" Mr Sim whined but his wife shushed him, smiling at the young married couple.

"Park Edlyn, you come right here," Jake warned but she refused, laughing at him. She ran upstairs towards the bedroom and greeted the old couple before running again.

Jake also greeted his grandparents before running towards his bedroom. He went in and glared at his wife who was protecting herself with a pillow, "Do not come closer. I have a weapon."

"Like that pillow is gonna kill me," he mocked. She threw the pillow hard in his face and was about to run to the bathroom but he grabbed her by the waist and pushed her on the bed before hovering on top of her.

"We're gonna wet your bed," she muttered quietly. He cleared his throat and pulled away, taking his towel to wipe his damp hair. She looked around awkwardly, "I'm going to the bathroom."

Jake nodded and sat at the edge of the bed before running his fingers through his hair, frustrated at what he did.

"Why did I do that? I never even hover on top of Sorin like that. Park Edlyn, you make me feel all sorts of things."

Edlyn went out of the bathroom and saw Jake already asleep in his bed. Probably too tired of waiting for her in the bathroom. She went towards him to wake him up but stopped when she saw his sleeping face. He looked innocent, like a baby sleeping. She squatted next to the bed and admired his face.

She leaned in for a kiss but immediately cupped her mouth, shocked at herself. She quickly stood up and scurried to the couch before hiding hers under the blanket.

Are you crazy? Were you going to kiss him just now? I mean, he looked innocent - No! Innocent or not, you do not kiss a man you hate!

Jake waited until she fell asleep and opened his eyes, breathing normally again. His heart was beating so fast, especially when his wife was about to kiss him. Thinking about it made him blush, his stomach producing thousands of butterflies.