Chapter 19 - The Gift

-Phil's POV-

Well, now we're a family of 4. I'm really excited that Tommy is officially part of this, but I feel like we should do something cool for him. We didn't end up doing a cool surprise thing with the whole "welcome to the family" thing, so I kind of want to make him a gift.

I can't really think of a gift I could give relating to something that he likes, though.

Hmm. I just saved up enough money to buy a used car, so I don't have a lot of spare money laying around to get Tommy a cool gift. I should probably ask Wilbur if he has any ideas.

I walk to Wilbur's room and ask him to come talk to me in the spare room. When we get there, we actually check the room for Tommy this time, and once the room is verified Tommy-less, we start the discussion.

"So Will, since Tommy's invitation to join our family was kind of anticlimactic, I was thinking we, or at least I, could get him a celebration gift instead."

"That's a great idea! You should do it!" He started to get up.

"Hold on! Thanks, but I wasn't exactly coming to you for confirmation. I actually wanted ideas of things we/I could do."

"Oh. Hmm, well, Tommy really likes firefighters and things relating to that. I think he's been interested in that even a while before he came here. Maybe if you could get him something relating to that?"

I thought back to when we found Tommy accidentally listening in to our conversation about him. He was reading a book on firetrucks. And I'm pretty sure I've seen him doing other things like that before as well. "You're right, why didn't I think of that? But what could I get him relating to that? I'm a bit short on cash at the moment since I just spent a lot on my car."

"What if you offered to drive him somewhere? Like, I don't know, maybe to a fire station or something? Don't they often like it when people come to say hi and give them things, and the firefighters show them around the station?" (1) Will asked.

"Hmm, I think so. That's a really good idea. His gift is that whenever he wants to go to the station, within a week of asking, I'll take him there. Or something like that. Thank you, Will."

"No problem. I think he'll really like that."

That night, I found Tommy and said that I had a gift for him. I'd made a pass that says "This pass is good for a trip to the fire station within a week of being asked. Infinitely renewable, but can only be used once per week." I then put it in an envelope as a kind of wrapping and wrote "to:Tommy" on it. Now, I gave it to him.

"Tommy, this is like a "Welcome to the family" gift."

-Tommy's POV-

I was going to say that I don't need a gift for that, but I know that gift giving is one of Phil's love languages (2) and he wouldn't listen if I argued.

-Phil's POV-

I watch as Tommy opens the envelope and reads what it says. I see his mind process what it says, then he immediately looks up at me and asks "Wait, can I go to any fire station? Or just the one closest to here?"

I hadn't thought about that, I didn't expect him to ask that. "Hmm, well, if the station is within a reasonable distance from here, we can go."

"How far away is the fire station near L'Manburg street?" Tommy then asked.

"I have no idea, I don't know anything about L'Manburg street. I can google it though."

"Please do. I used to live on L'Manburg street, and I visited the fire station near there many times. I know the firefighters there."

"Oh, that's really cool! I'll check how far it is from there, and if it isn't too far, we can go visit."

"Thanks Phil! I won't lose this!"

"Oh, I honestly don't care if you lose the pass. I'll still take you there. I just made it a physical object because that's easier to give as a gift."

"Oh. Well, thanks!" He gives me a quick hug and walks off to his room.

I look up how far that fire station is. It's a 45 minute drive each way, meaning that to get there it'll take a total of an hour and a half round trip. Normally I wouldn't want to make that drive, especially considering that we'll probably only be at the actual station for 2-3 hours, but because it's special to Tommy, we can still go there. I might need to set more of a restriction on how often we can go though.

A/Ns:

1. I have no clue if this is true or not. I mean, I know that you can go to a fire station and give them stuff whenever, but in this story Tommy is going to get to hang out with the people there and stuff. I'm not sure if that's a thing they let you do or not, but for the sake of the story, you can. And the person from the book series who's backstory I based Tommy off of did that I think, so I'll blame it on that author if I'm wrong.

2. I also don't know if this is true for the real Philza, but for the way I've written him, it definitely is.

Thanks!

Chapter word count: 811

Total word count: 1055