Chapter 18 - Eavesdropping

-Tommy's POV-

Today, I found myself with a surprisingly low amount of homework. I quickly finished it in the library and decided to hang out in the spare room. There's a little area that's hidden by a weirdly placed bookshelf, the back of an armchair (1), and the corner of the room. I have some pillows set up there where I do my work.

I was reading a book on firefighters and fire trucks, when Phil, Will, and Techno all walked into the room at the same time, talking to each other. I go back to my book. They don't seem to notice me in the room, probably because I'm completely out of sight in my little area. Wilbur sits in the armchair that makes up one of the walls of my little area. I try not to eavesdrop, though it is kind of hard seeing as I'm in the same room as them.

"So, guys, there's a reason I called you all here for a family meeting." Phil says after sitting down.

Wait, they're having a meeting? If they're having a family meeting I probably shouldn't be here. Then again, it's kind of awkward to get up and walk away now. Anyway, while I'm still contemplating this, I hear Phil continue.

"The main reason for this meeting is to decide on whether or not to invite Tommy to join the family."

Wait what?! They're talking about me? I guess I really shouldn't be listening to this.

And wait, they're considering asking me to join their family? I didn't know that was possible? I thought your family are the people biologically related to you.

Either way, it's too late to leave now. First of all, it would be even more awkward for me to just leave, and second of all, I want to know what they decide!

"What do you guys think?" Phil asks Will and Techno.

WIlbur immediately answered, "I mean, I'm all for the idea. I feel like he's part of our family already, though that may be because I room with him."

"He's most definitely not a jerk like everyone else at this orphanage, and even though he can be annoying, you guys are annoying and you're still my brothers. He's not that bad." Techno adds.

"Given this is Techno, that's a resolute "Yes"," Phil points out. "I'm obviously in favor of this, or I wouldn't have called a meeting about it. I love Tommy, he's an amazing kid. Will, I assume your earlier vote was a yes?"

"Yeah! Though there were one or two times that I wish I hadn't pulled strings to have him room with me, I'm very glad I did. And I don't want to say that I'm glad he came here." Will said, before realizing the implications of his last sentence. "Wait, no– I'm not glad he was sent to an orphanage, but since he was, I'm glad he came here."

"Does that mean our decision is unanimous?" Phil asked.

"I mean obviously. I'd hope that for important matters like this, we aren't a democracy. This requires unanimous agreement." (2.) Techno pointed out.

Wow. I just sat there in shock. They really think that? They all immediately agreed to have me join their family. Like, there wasn't an argument or anything. Whenever they, well, complimented me, everyone agreed. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding after they all agreed. Unfortunately, when I breathed back in, my nose started to itch. Now I just want them to leave so I can leave safely, and so they won't hear if I sneeze.

"So the next question is, how do we ask him?" Phil continued.

Oh no, now they're going to talk for a while. I don't know if I can hold the sneeze this long.

"Hmm, I don't know. I want it to be unusual though, not boring." Wilbur added.

"Will, do you know if Tommy likes surprises or not?" Techno questioned.

Wilbur seemed to think for a bit. "I'm not actually sure. Surprising him might be a good idea..."

I couldn't hold my sneeze anymore.

"ACHOO!"

Will immediately turned around and looked down at me. "Tommy! Wha– how long have you been here?!"

"Tommy?!" Phil and Techno exclaimed in unison.

"Uh, heh, since before you guys came in the room? That's why you didn't see me walk in. I was back here, reading my book, when you guys walked in" I answered, showing them my book and standing up.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Phil asked.

"I mean, at first I didn't think it would be that big of a deal if I was here, then once you started talking about me it would've been too awkward."

"Oh, so talking would be too awkward but sneezing isn't?" Techno asked.

"This is awkward! And I didn't sneeze on purpose!"

"Well, uh, that's one way to tell you the news." Phil said.

"Hey Will, you wanted him to find out in an unusual, non-boring way, right? I'd say this fits the criteria." Techno joked.

"That it does. So Tommy, what do you say?" Will asked.

"You can take some time to think about it if you need, Tommy."

"What does that even mean though? Like, I don't have the same parents as you, how can we be brothers?"

"Well, think of it like adoptive brothers." Phil explained. "None of us are actually related, but we decided that since we don't have a family, we'd adopt each other."

"Oh. And-and you want to adopt me too?" I asked, suddenly realizing what that means.

"If you'll adopt us, too." Phil replied.

"Like I said earlier, everyone's got to agree for this to happen." Techno added.

"Y– Of course! Thank you!" I replied, very happy. I reached over the armchair and hugged Wilbur, since he was the only one in hugging distance. He hugged back, Phil walked over and joined the hug, and Techno joined last.

TW: Fluff, the most triggering thing in the world.

A/Ns:

1. No, I didn't have to look up "sofa chair" to figure out what it's called. Definitely not. Also yes, I'm American and call it a sofa. For some reason, I call it a couch if it's a normal long couch, and I call it a sofa if it's a 2-person couch or an armchair.

2. I'm not saying anything about governments, and I'm definitely not advocating for required unanimity in votes, if that happened nothing would ever get done. I really don't even know why I added this part it doesn't do much or make much sense, but I'm too lazy to remove it so whatever.

Chapter word count: 992

Total word count: 1112