Chapter 12 - Wilbur and Fundy

-Phil's POV-

Lunch just started, and since I don't have to work after school today, I'm going down to the elementary school (1), like I always do, when Wilbur runs over to me.

"Hi Will!"

"Hey, Phil, so, I was wondering if I could hang out with you during lunch today?"

"Sure thing mate. Why?"

"Well, there's a group project in English and my group members want to meet today during lunch. So I'm hiding in hopes that they'll not be able to find me and will just end up doing it all without me."

I sigh. Why is this Will's solution to things? "Will, you can't just ditch your group! Some day you'll get a teacher that will make you show who did what amount of work and your lazy methods will get exposed."

"Well, that's future Wilbur's problem."

I sigh again. "I mean, I already told you that you can go with me, and I'm not about to back out of that, plus I enjoy hanging out with you, so if you really want to skip out on your group, fine, you can go with me. I'm helping a kid at the elementary school with some school stuff."

"Thanks. But wow, you're boring. Lunch is the one time to not have to do school, but you're always doing homework, studying, or helping others with school!"

"It's not all that boring. The work is easy because it's elementary school stuff, plus the kids are fun."

"Alright, fine. It'll probably be more interesting than going to the library and watching Techno study."

We walk to the place where I usually meet Fundy at the elementary school. He's already there, waiting for us.

"Hi Phil! Who's that?"

"Hi Fundy, this is Wilbur. Will, Fundy."

"... Your names are Phil and Will? What on earth? Are you related or something?"

"Nope, the rhyming is just a coincidence." I replied. I'd never really thought about that, but our names do rhyme when Wilbur is using his nickname and I'm using my real name.

"Anyway, how's your homework going?" 

Fundy groans. "But grandpaaaaaaa, I don't want to do school work! It's lunch! That's when you're supposed to take a break from school!"

"I know, right! I was just telling him that on the way here!" Wilbur exclaimed.

"But Fundy, it's a lot easier for us to meet up during lunch! And if you don't learn stuff now, when you get to middle school and high school you're going to struggle a lot because a lot of stuff that you will learn is related to what you're learning now!"

"But Will's here today! Can we just have a day off?"

"When is the homework that you have now due?"

"...Tomorrow..."

I mean, I understand that Fundy wants a break. He's in elementary school, for goodness' sakes. He shouldn't have to be doing school nonstop. I mean, I don't have work today. And I have Fundy's parents' numbers. "Well, how about this. I'll text your parents, Fundy, and ask them if you can meet with us at the park after school. If they say yes, I can help you with your schoolwork then, and afterwards we can celebrate by playing around and doing other stuff, and we can also take a break now. How does that sound?"

"Yay, that's a great idea!" Fundy replied.

"Wait, do I have to go to that?" Wil asked.

"I mean, you don't have to come for the homework part, but I'd like it if you'd come afterwards to hang out."

"But I don't wanna walk all the way there alone!"

"Then you can come the whole time with us."

"No, I'll get bored."

"Well, you choose."

"Please don't stay home!" Fundy added.

"Yeah Will. He wants you to hang out with him."

Wilbur sighs heavily. "Fine, Dad." (2.)

"Wait, if Wilbur's dad is Phil, and Phil is my grandpa, then wouldn't Will be my dad"

"Or your uncle." I add.

"...Nah, I'd rather have a dad. You're my dad now, Will!"

"Looks like you've got yourself a son, Wilbur." I laughed.

"What!? I didn't sign up for this!" Wilbur complained.

"Now you have to come to the park, Wilbur! What kind of a parent would you be if you didn't?"

"Try telling my mom that." Wil said very quietly. I barely heard what he said, and I don't think Fundy caught it.

"Will?" I asked, a bit concerned.

"What?" he said, as if he hadn't said the thing before. I decide it's probably a good idea not to ask him about it, at least not now. Instead I continue to convince Will to go to the park, also keeping Fundy from getting too confused.

"So are you going to the park?"

"I mean, since Fundy did such a great job convincing me, I really don't have much of a choice, do I?"

"Yay!"

"Thanks, Will." I look at my phone to check the time. "Hey Will, we need to start heading back to class if we want to make it before lunch ends. Also, your parents responded and said the trip to the park is okay, Fundy"

"Aww, you guys have to leave already?! Well, at least I'll see you after school!"

"Bye Fundy!"

"Bye grandpa! Bye dad!"

As we walk back, Wilbur says, "I'm beginning to see why you like hanging out with him, even if you're only doing school stuff."

I smile.

That afternoon, Wilbur came to the park with us like he said he would, and even came early. Though, he was complaining a lot because the teacher that assigned the group project checked who made what edits on the project they were making, and when they saw that Wilbur didn't do anything on the project, he had to redo the entire project by himself. (3.)

A/Ns:

1. Let's just pretend that they're all connected, kind of like some private schools, and that for some reason you're allowed to go from one to the next during lunch if you want.

2. To be clear, he's not saying Phil is his actual dad, but rather that he's acting like a dad

3. Kids, please actually do your work and don't leave it all to one member in your group.

Chapter word count: 970

Total word count: 1043