Episode 18

I hummed lightly as I cleaned up from breakfast. My espresso machine dinged the sweetest little sound, like birds chirping in the morning, and even though I wasn't a huge fan of coffee there came a moment in my life when I suddenly couldn't live without it.

Pouring it into a travel mug, I placed the glass pot back down and grabbed the sugar. Spooning some in, and then quickly adding a little more just incase, I put everything away and moved to grab my blazer and slip on my shoes to leave.

Singing under my breath as I shut the door and locked it behind me, I walked out of the living plaza without having to hear Tanizaki and Naomi screeching and enjoyed the quiet walk to the office. I lifted my head as I ran my hands through my hair, making sure it was all behind me.

Maybe I should get it cut soon, I wondered. Should I chop a lot off? Maybe the shock effect will make Atsushi look at me more.

I sweat dropped. What an odd idea.

"Excuse me?"

My foot scuffed on the ground as I stopped short, turning around towards the voice.

My coffee slipped from my hands and my voice caught in the back of my throat. I couldn't even scream bloody murder, I couldn't even beg for help or ask what kind of sick joke this was.

"Are you from the detective agency? I got lost on my way there. Can you help me?"

My hands were shaking, and I moved to look at the mess I made, stepping back before looking back at her.

It was Aika. Aika was standing right in front of me.

"Um." I coughed, frowning at the coffee on the ground, I quickly grabbed the cup and then stepped over the puddle, "Just, uh, just follow me."

"Okay."

-

At the ADA, I sat her down on the couch and went to find some water. I guzzled it, coughing as I clung to the edge of the counter for support. With one wavering deep breath, I walked back to the couch I sat her on and situated myself across from her.

"My name is Aika." She began, making me purse my lips and tell myself it was just a coincidence, "I came for your help."

"I see." I cleared my throat, "How old are you, miss- A-Aika?"

"Thirteen."

"Do you know your surname?"

"It's Fuwa." 

I looked at her. That was impossible. That name wasn't very common, not even in the slightest.

"And for what- um- what reason exactly do you feel you need the help from our detective agency instead of the police?"

"Someone bad is after me." She replied, "Someone really strong. I already went to the police and they said I had to go with him."

I narrowed my eyes, but quickly put my thoughts aside to make sure she felt comfortable. If she trusted me, she might reveal something that would make sense of this whole situation. I asked her a few more questions about parents, school and a description of the bad man that was supposedly tracking her down. She didn't seem to have any interest in telling me why he might be chasing her.

As she thought through how she would explain the person I asked about, Kunikida looked into the room, "Ayame. Good morning."

"Good morning, Kunikida-san." I smiled gently, even though it probably looked like I was screaming for help.

She waved to him and he smiled in reply, giving her a respectful good morning as well. He eyed me for a moment before walking off, and I continued to try and get a good description of her supposed perpetrator.