Episode 14

"Good morning, Ayame-san!"

"Atsushi." I smiled in reply, happy to be back in the office instead of stuck in that stupid underground church, "How many times have I told you to drop the honorific? Good morning to you too, though."

He scratched his temple lightly, "Right, sorry, Ayame." 

I watched him as he scanned the office, "Oh. Is Ranpo out for the day?"

"He's meeting up with a special someone after a sketchy call with Yosano-san. He told me to stay here incase anything else came up, but right now things seem pretty dry. The Guild, the Mafia and of course, we, are all taking our next steps very carefully."

Atsushi blinked confusedly, as if too afraid to say out loud what he assumed that meant, so I spoke for him, "It basically means we have a rest day. But we probably shouldn't go about frolicking in the city." 

Kenji pouted from the other side of the office, because I had to be stern with him when I told him he wasn't allowed to leave two minutes ago. He insisted he just wanted to by a watermelon, and eat some beef teriyaki, but even getting beef teriyaki could be dangerous. Considering he was trapped in a girls alternate dimension ability in the blink of an eye regardless of his strength said enough, and the last thing we needed was to worry about any of our members being used as hostages. 

So, he was stuck here. I did order take out, though, but he didn't seem satisfied yet. 

"What about Kunikida?"

"He's with the president right now." I replied, watching his eyes linger on Tanizaki and his sister, and then as their usual annoying, inappropriate squabbling began, his eyes darkened in disgust and confusion, before he turned back to me. 

"So... I guess..."

"Our reports are already finished. what about you?"

He frowned, and I noted how he seemed very uncomfortable recalling yesterdays events, "I finished it." He replied in a sigh, and pulled a chair out to sit down beside me, "It was dreadful."

"Wanna talk about it? Dazai said you were put through quiet the rut."

He sighed again, "He sent me home early to take care of it himself. That's how... awful, this person was."

I narrowed my eyes, "And this person?"

"Dazai said they used to be a prisoner of the mafia. But, they let them go on purpose. They had this awful ability to make illusions, and put you against your friends... I..." He glanced again over in Naomi's direction, but quickly dropped his head back down. 

His shoulders were slumped, he seemed exhausted. I'd never seen him quiet like this before. I had only seen him happy, or flustered. I'd seen him confused and annoyed, and flabbergasted, and I'd seen him blush. But I'd never seen him angry, or sad like this even though I had seen him shed tears before.

This time, as he sniffled and rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand and his arm, taking in a deep breath to try and pull himself together, my heart raced. What was wrong with me? There was absolutely nothing attractive about seeing the boy you like cry, if anything, I should be upset and worried for him. I was, but, at the same time seeing him cry... made me want to kiss him.

"A-Atsushi." I stuttered, swallowing. I willed that heat in my cheeks to go away. He's going to think I'm insane, "You don't have to worry like this. No one blames you."

"But the way they looked at me." He whispered, "I felt like a mons-" 

The blush faded and I pressed my finger to his lips as he looked up at me. His eyes widened at the touch, and my heart was still pounding. Actually, I felt like I was about to combust for real this time, because actually making eye contact, actually touching him like this. I wanted to kiss him, maybe not just because I found his red, glossy eyes adorable and endearing in a way, but because I found romance in the idea that my kiss could distract him enough to will that sadness away. I could take it from him, I could hold that burden instead.

And, well, he was being vulnerable with me in a way no one had ever done before. Not anyone from my band in high school, and certainly not Mahiro.

My finger lifted from his lips as I thought, That's it!

"Atsushi, I have a great pass time idea!" I announced, making him blink hard twice.

He swallowed, and sat up a little straighter, "Like what?"

"Karaoke!"

Naomi's exaggerated, excited gasp screeched throughout the office, "Oh my god! Yes! It's show time!!"