Episode 16

I was there, listening to everything. Surprisingly enough Dazai let me without much word, like I wasn't even there. I made sure not to ask too many questions, not to inquiry about things I knew I shouldn't inquire about.

I had a feeling Akutagawa would show up despite any agreements we may have made previously, and so did Dazai, it was still annoying when we found out for sure, though.

I thought, after all this time, I'd be fine around Atsushi. I'd be able to keep my composure as per usual and slowly work calmly to get closer and closer to him - maybe through in some subtle flirting. But when he cried in front of me, I lost that composure completely for the first time. It had always been wavering of course, like when he jumped in to protect me from that extremist who got loose. But now, I knew I was screwed.

I was so screwed I was jealous of a 14 year old girl who's life was on the line.

I was so screwed, that when I heard him growl that mafia dogs name with such fury and passion and just pure wrath, my heart skipped and I questioned my sanity.

Then, the idiots started fighting and all the heat I might have felt from hearing Atsushi be anything but a nervous, confused wreck washed away like a tidal wave and I bit my lip in my own frustration.

I looked down to see Dazai roll his eyes as the two bickered like an old married couple.

"I'm going to kill you." Akutagawa growled.

"Don't you understand the situation we're in right now?! We may no longer have a place to live! I don't understand you one bit."

"I don't remember ever asking for your understanding."

"Dazai." I grumbled, pinching the bridge of my nose between my fingers, hard.

"Akutagawa-kun is still clinging to his terrible old habits of going solo. Atsushi-kun, we don't have time to deal with him. Let's move on."

"But..."

"Don't worry. Just do as I say and you'll make it." He began, clearing his throat likely, "Now, tell him you're communicating with me and show him the radio. Tell him I want to speak with him. Then, throw the intercom as far away from you as possible."

I looked to the far wall, my mouth formed a straight line and my eyes narrowed as I tried to think through what the hell that would possibly do. Why would this young man, of all the mafia, give two shits about Dazai on the other end of a microphone? How could he even be foolish enough to straight up believe that Atsushi was even telling the truth?

"Understood." Atsushi replied, and we listened as he conversed with Akutagawa, revealing Dazai's absent presence. Atsushi grunted and the sound of the communication device souring through the air roared over into the radio.

"DAZAI-SAN!" I clenched my teeth, ripping the head set of my own off as Akutagawa's voice reached the height of a banshee.

I've fought this kid once, about 10 months ago, a small little unfortunate run in and a scared shitless client who got their hands dirty on the wrong turf. I knew he was a brat, a stone cold, relentless brat who did anything he was told.

But this? Seriously? He broke just at the mention of Dazai's name. Just at the possibility that he was on the other end of a phone. Just... just because Atsushi said Dazai wanted to speak with him?

"Dazai-san." I swallowed hard, realizing that the Port Mafia was just as ridiculous as the ADA,
"What the hell."

He snorted, before quickly putting himself back together to continue watching the radar in front of him, "What ever do you mean, Ayame-chan? My, what a dirty mouth."