Episode 13

The only way to get into this fancy little hideout the president got us huddled into, was through the underground railroad. Which means only one way in - and only one way out. It puts us in just as much of a dangerous position as it does anyone coming in, well, aside from the fact that most people coming in shouldn't be stronger than all of us combined. 

The President's clicking of his game board pieces was just about to become a new form of torture. Ranpo had said he was bored three times now, Yosano was sighing as usual in front of the surveillance computer we had set up, and Kenji was busy with a plant he brought with him. 
I was sitting in a pew behind Ranpo, thinking about the days I used to get up in front of a microphone and sing like a fool. Those days were fun... a different kind of fun. I wonder what the others in the band are up to right now, at this second? 

I wonder if Mahiro was staying out of all the trouble this was causing. I wonder if Atsushi wasn't getting his ass handed to him again, and this time could make an accomplishment that could bring him better confidence. Well, Dazai was with him, I'm sure he'd snap him out of it if something did happen. 

Dazai was smart - too smart for his own good. And by smart, most of the time I mean smart in the really annoying way. He always had something to say about something, and he wasn't usually ever wrong, which just made it worse.

My aggressive side was already a pathetic self esteem issue of mine, and now he wants to bring up the draw back of my ability? Well, it's nothing really new. Almost everyone with a physical type of ability had drawbacks. Akutagawa had draw backs, I saw it in a fight with him once. The girl who could time travel that settled the case of Aika's death for me and Mahiro, her ability had drawbacks too. All drawbacks were different, but normal, but certain people didn't like to talk about them.

Dazai, obviously, loved to talk about them. 

Kyouka had drawbacks. Chuuya Nakahara, with an ability like that, he'd have drawbacks too. I'd never seen it myself though. 

My eyes hardened as I saw a glimpse of Ranpo's computer. There was movement in the railroad.

Speak of the devil and he shall come. I thought, the corner of my mouth stretched upward and I stood.

"No need for betting on games now." I interrupted the others groaning about boredom, "We've got ourselves a visitor."

Ranpo took a breath at my words and turned to get the president's attention, "President, I think we should call back the others."

"The enemy?" He asked, standing, "How many are there?"

"One."

"You send these puppets out to receive a special envoy?" His voice echoed, "You're so short staffed I could cry. Could you send out something that's actually alive?"

"President." Ranpo called, catching my eager gaze from the corner of his eye.

"Are you of the same opinion as I am?"

"Ayame, lead Yosano and Kenji to greet the executive."

I bowed lightly, "It'll be my pleasure, President."

Nakahara scoffed a laugh at the sight of us. It was dark, and even though Kenji had plenty of weapon to rip from the ground, and Yosano's powers were an endless supply, and Chuuya had minimal space to move... it could still prove to be dangerous. Extremely, dangerous. Even with my speed, he's still probably a step ahead of my skill no matter how much I've trained these past years.

"Only three?" He stopped as he recognized me, "Oh, Ayame, nice to see you again. Working with the Agency huh? Guess it's better than other things."

Yosano eyed me as I kept my composure, "You're looking better as well. I like the jacket."

He grinned, "Thanks."

"If you're dissatisfied with our reception, you can come back after making an appointment." Yosano interrupted, resting her weapon on her shoulder.

"You think the Mafia needs to make an appointment to raise hell in an enemy base?" He retorted.

"Oh, I think they do!" Kenji commented and I smiled at how cute he was, even in a situation like this.

"It is common courtesy, and the mafia's all about being professional, isn't it? Unless of course, you and this underground railroad is an exception?"

"If you want to raise hell, have at it." Yosano glared, "But that's not what you came for."

His smirk finally fell, "How did you know?"

"We're a detective agency, you know. What good would we be if we couldn't find out a clients intentions at a glance?"

He shut his eyes and smiled gently this time, before opening them to ask where our President was. Yosano rose her blade to point to the only camera left operational, and he turned towards it. He held up a photo, claiming it was a present from his boss. 

"Members of the guild? " The president's voice was calm.

"We reeled them in with bait." Chuuya replied, "The time and location they'll appear is written here. You don't get many chances like this, do you? You can get one over on that detestable Guild!"

"That's a titillating proposal." Yosano suddenly grinned and I rolled my neck to prepare for her reckless need to let out some pent up energy, "But I've got a better one. How about I hack off your limbs, and make you cough up your plans?"

"Now that's a brilliant idea."

"Kenji!"

"Right!"

I backed up slowly, I guess it was show time. The only thing that would shut us down was either ours or Chuuya's triumph, or the President's word. Kenji lifted up a rail and swung with a warning, which the male easily dodged by jumping on top of it. He was fast, and flicked out his foot to send Kenji into the wall. Yosano moved before I did, being closest to swing her blade, but he moved to stand himself on the ceiling. 

Yosano called out his name, finally recognizing him and his ability.

He clicked his tongue, obviously wanting to keep it a secret. 

I kicked off the ground, my ability surrounded my body and propelled me through the air. I couldn't defy gravity, but I could move through it. Twisting to be eye level with the male, I smirked right at him before throwing the first punch. That seemed to be the first thing that shocked him in this battle, and he moved back to the ground. I followed in a second, going for his neck with my foot, he managed to block this time. Even if I was using my ability speed as a surprise, he could still catch on even faster. 

Without a moment to spare, I used the leverage from him holding my ankle to launch my other leg over and into the other side of his head. He let go of my foot to block with his arm, and stumbled back as I landed. 

"You little brat..." He whispered, eyeing me.

"See how strong I've become now?" I grinned.

"Alright, alright. You'll never have to be saved again. Well... except for from me."

I sucked in a breath, but before he could attack in full swing, the President spoke. Everything was settled in less than three minutes, and Chuuya laughed it off. I wondered what exactly he was mumbling under his breath when he did laugh, but I decided it would be better not to ask.

He didn't bother to put his hands up as he moved forward to hand me the photo with our evidence. I gave a curt thank you, which seemed to please him even though I didn't owe it to him. As he left, he just walked off without a care for his back side and we slowly lowered our guards as the distance widened.

"Oh, Ayame." He began, turning back just to look at me.

"Yes, Nakahara-san?"

"If you ever need a place to go, the mafia and I will welcome you with open arms."

My eyes widened as he smirked. He saw my power and didn't think of me as a rival, but a possible addition. An addition that would bring good results to his side. In a sense, it made me proud to know that he acknowledged my abilities. But, on the other hand, there was a light shivering feeling that buzzed in my finger tips, like a warning. 

A compelling warning, if I were ever to break and begin to hate this world... that place is exactly where I would end up. 

And that breaking point... was it already pending?