Episode 12

"President?"

I blinked, glancing over to Kunikida as he pulled the phone away from his ear. Atsushi's footsteps scuffed into the room with the files we had asked for. 

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"The call from the president just... hmmm... could it be an enemy attack?" 

Atsushi gasped, jogging forward to put down the box and look ready, "Should we go help?!"
I smiled lightly, not turning away from my computer screen. 

"The president is fine." Kunikida replied, "More importantly-"

"How can you be sure?!" Atsushi interrupted, obviously anxious, and Kunikida sighed.

"Kunikida-san," I mused as he stood and dared the boy to try and grab him, "Maybe not?"

"Why, do you want to do it instead?" He retorted, "I hate explaining things to someone who can't listen."

I deadpanned, no wonder he quit being a teacher.

Atsushi hardly touched his finger tips to Kunikida's palm before Kunikida had flipped him over onto his back. I flinched lightly at the thud as Atsushi gasped from the pressure and I took a breath, exhaling slowly. Everyone here is so ridiculous. 

"That was one of the first things the president taught me. I've never won a single match against him. He's not going to lose to a group of dime-a-dozen assassins." 

"Alright, now that I'm done with this." I huffed, standing from my chair and stretching with a light groan. I turned to look down at Atsushi, and froze slightly as we met eyes. 

I lowered my arms from over my head slowly, keeping the eye contact, and then I just smiled. I couldn't really help it, he looked adorable just laying there like a fool, lost in the thought of how weak he was against Kunikida, let alone the President. I figured he was just dozed off with his eyes pointed in my direction, but as my smile fell slightly and I tilted my head, I wondered if he was actually staring at me? 

He scrambled up onto his feet and I rose a brow at his beat red ears. He must just be embarrassed. The phone began to ring again and Kunikida practically lunged for it, saying it must be the president. Atsushi scratched his pink cheeks and approached me, "You can do that too, right?"

I nodded, "I can. But, Kunikida-san taught me, not the President."

"Really? Do you think he can teach me too?" 

"Well, we had a bit more free time back then. But I'm sure if you're ultimately willing, he'll indulge you."

He hummed, "What do you mean by ultimately willing?"

I rose my hand and rested it on his shoulder. He was warm, and it made me self conscious of possibly cold hands. He didn't seem to mind, though, "You see, it takes a good amount of will power to be able to handle Kunikida during such a lesson. He's a bit..."

His eyes suddenly fell dull, "Nevermind. I understand."

I snorted, and then laughed. I'd never seen him react like that before, and it filled me with a sense of euphoria that he wasn't only getting more comfortable around the agency, but more comfortable with me. 

"Okay you two, listen up." Kunikida announced, "No more friendly bonding time. We're moving the agency underground."

-

"A... church. How..." I caught myself, swallowing back the awkwardness, "Fitting." I grumbled sarcastically, and Dazai chuckled in amusement. 

"The ambiance of a church is always nice though, isn't it?"

A cross never saved anyone. Not even the man who died on it. I thought, looking up to the statue. And even if it was meant to save us, it failed. It failed because humans didn't care enough to want to be saved... but so many foolishly think a single man's torturous sacrifice means they don't have to worry anymore. 

"Are you not religious, Ayame?" Kenji asked.

I sighed, "No. My mother is, though."

"A lot of people at the village were religious. We never had any big churches like this, though." Kenji pipped up, and I glanced at him to see his smile as he thought of his home.

That's because truly faithful people don't need a castle to prove they care about something
Frowning lightly, I turned away from the alter and glanced at Atsushi. The orphanage he was raised in was no doubt religious, but he didn't seem bothered. Maybe his mind was elsewhere.

The doors flew open and everyone lifted their heads, "Listen, all. The Port Mafia seeks to eradicate the agency. The Guild seeks to usurp the agency. We must protect the agency from those two foes. Dazai."

"Yes. The Guild has substantial financial assets, and the Port Mafia has the numerical advantage. So we will split into defensive and offensive teams and engage in guerrilla tactics. The critical goal for the defense is to protect Yosano-sensei here. With her healing ability, as long as we don't die outright, we will be cured of any injury. Ranpo, Ayame, Kenji and the President will be on the defensive. The offense will split into two teams, one being Tanizaki and Kunikida, and they will surprise the enemy using Tanizaki's ability. The second offense team will be Atsushi and I, and we will also take the enemy by surprise using my nullification ability." Dazai explained, crossing his arms, 

"The crux of this strategy is to keep our base of operations hidden. If our enemy were to attack this base with everything they have, our defense will not hold." 

"And what happens when they do find our location?"

"When?" Dazai asks, turning to me, "You're so sure they'll find us?"

"The Port Mafia is stupid, but they're not complete idiots. They'll find us before the Guild does."

"Well... That's when we try our hand at negotiation. Given that whoever attacks first is willing to listen."

"Only one of the three organizations can survive." The president continued, "Our only course of action is to fight! It'll be a three way gifted war, so prepare yourselves."

As everyone moved to get comfortable in their respective positions and prepare their battle strategy better, Atsushi pulled Dazai aside to ask a question everyone heard.

"Dazai-san, Ayame-san has incredible offensive skills. Why isn't she on an offensive team instead of Tanizaki? Is it simply because of his ability?"

Dazai hummed in amusement and he looked over to see my glare.

"Tanizaki's ability is a big part of it, it's a great asset. But, Ayame-san is better on the defensive team for a good reason too."

"Why? I feel like she's always on the defense."

The older male chuckled and I almost threw my phone at his head.

"It's because... Ayame-san's ability has a drawback."

"Eh?"

"Enough." I hissed, much to the idiot's amusement, "We have more pressing matters to be worried about."

"Right! Sorry for prying, Ayame-san."

I took a breath and relaxed as I met Atsushi's gaze. This went unnoticed by absolutely no one, "It's fine, Atsushi. It's normal to be curious. Let's just focus on making sure we all get out of this okay."

He nodded confidentially and I turned back to Ranpo, who smirked at me. I glared back, and we held an eye twitching staring contest for the next couple of minutes. It was almost like he was trying to communicate with me telepathically, and I'm not sure if it would be annoying or very informative if he actually did have that ability. 

He suddenly changed the look in his eyes, to mimic a face much like a 12 year old who'd just found out their friends secret crush, and was going to go tell the person you liked about your undying love for them simply to embarrass you while they bask in their momentary power. 

Nevermind. That ability in Ranpo's hands would be torturous.