Misplaced Phone

Karina's POV

February 14, I usually don't like this day, but now I think I will finally enjoy today because of Spencer.

Spencer was planning our date for a little while, and I was actually very excited to see what he had planned. I was hoping it would be small like our first date.

Right now it was 6:35 p.m. and Spencer said he would be her at 6:30. I was waiting for him out on the front porch, I noticed he was five minutes late. All I was thinking was 'He probably ran into some traffic ... Maybe'

7:00

I was getting cold, but I stayed outside and waited for him.

7:30

I still had hope that he was on his way.

8:00

I gave up. I went back inside and got unready. I was so excited to see what he had planned for us, but he never came. I was crying for a few minutes until I heard a knock at the door.

"Hey, little Kay, you okay?"

"yeah", I said in between sobs

Derek opened the door and sat on my bed next to me. He looked at me and I couldn't hold it, I broke. Just crying in his arms.

"He didn't show up, he didn't even call or text me to cancel, and I was looking forward to this date. I've never been happy on valentine's day and now that I'm with someone I thought I would be happy, but he doesn't show, I HATE VALENTINE'S DAY!"

"Karina, I know why he's late"

"Why!?"

"He was visiting his mother in Las Vegas, and I called me saying that the weather delayed the flight."

"Oh, why didn't he tell me, I would have understood."

"He tried to call you, but you forgot you put your phone in my work bag, so you didn't get any of his messages."

Once I processed what he said I felt so stupid for overreacting.

"I'm an idiot, I am a true teenage girl, I overreacted, cried, yelled, and I didn't even think to look for my phone."

"Hey, stop, you're not an idiot, you just misplaced your phone, and yes you reacted like a 'typical teenager', but if you think about it you are a teenager, so don't be so hard on yourself."

"Okay, can I get my phone? I need to call him."

"Yeah"

I called Spencer once I got my phone and I didn't want to talk. I was so embarrassed about the whole date mishap, but I had to talk, it would be rude not to.

"Hello, Karina, are you okay? Hey talk to me, Karina?"

"Hey Spence"

"What's wrong why didn't you say anything when I answered"

"I um- I didn't know what to say"

"Have you been crying? What's wrong?"

"You could have told me that you went to Las Vegas to see your mother"

"I couldn't"

"But, why"

"You'll just have to wait and see why"

"Spence, I was crying earlier because I thought you just left me hanging"

"You thought I left you hanging? Wait, you thought I either forgot about the date or that I just canceled the date without telling you. You know I would never do that right?"

"Yeah I know, I was just upset and acted like a true teenage girl. You know, crying, yelling, and overreacting."

"Karina, I love you too much to do anything that hurtful, and I was getting a gift for Valentine's Day and our six month anniversary, which is coming up."

"I'm a total idiot"

"Hey, don't call yourself an idiot, you are the most beautiful, intelligent, athletic, courageous, and most optimistic woman I have ever met. I love and I mean with all of my heart, I love you."

"Spence, stop, you're gonna make me cry again."

"I'm sorry. Oh go to the front door."

"No, you're not , I don't believe you're here!"

I ran downstairs and opened the door to see Spencer with flowers in his hand. I jumped into his arms and kissed him. He walked inside the house

"God, I'm so stupid for thinking that you would forget, even though you have a eidetic memory."

"Okay can you stop calling yourself stupid, you're not."

"Fine, come on upstairs."

We went upstairs and watched movies and Doctor Who for a while. He then told me to close my eyes. I did and I heard him pull out something from his bag, he then said,

"Okay, open your eyes."

I looked at him and down at his hands. I saw him holding a box with a ring in one hand and a necklace with a butterfly on it.

"I got you this necklace while I was in Las Vegas, and my mom said to give this ring to you for our 6 month, but I thought it'd be best to give it to you now."

"Aww, Spence you didn't have to buy me anything"

" Actually, I did because I asked my mom if she wanted to meet you and obviously she said yes, but she also gave me this ring. She said, "If the girl is right, make a promise by giving her this ring, if she wears it then she's the one." So would you wear it?"

"Spencer, yes I will wear it, and you mother sounds very wise, I now understand where you get your brains from."

He smiled, placed the ring on my finger, put a necklace around my neck, and kissed me on the lips.

"Wait, why the butterfly necklace?"

"Because I asked your dad what was your favorite animal or insect, and he said that you loved butterflies, because of your grandfather. And I thought if I got this you could look at it and know your guardian angel is there to protect you. And that if you're lost I will always be there to save you."

"Awww, Spence, that's so cute, I love it."

I hugged him and kissed him. Afterward, we ordered food and he spent the night. As I was falling asleep, I held Spencer tightly and he kissed me on the top of my head. We then slowly drifted off to sleep.

End of Chapter