Chapter 24: Dynamics

It was around 5pm when Armin and Hitch sat down at a coffee shop to talk, with Hitch steering the conversations and barely letting Armin get a word in edgewise.

The blonde propped his right arm up onto the table and pressed his cheek against his hand's knuckles. He took a sip of his hot chocolate and felt as if he were going to soon die of boredom, which he kept telling himself was rude to think about.

He spaced out for a second before Hitch waved a hand at him. The girl had asked him something quietly, and the blonde sat up straight and looked at Hitch with wide eyes, now attentive.

"Sorry, Hitch. What did you say?"

Hitch sighed slightly before smiling, reaching over to rest her hand delicately on top of Armin's. The blonde tensed and his pulse quickened.

"I asked if you would ever go out with me?" the girl said with a giggle as she batted her eyes at the confused boy.

"Go out where?" Armin asked innocently.

Hitch frowned for a split second before rephrasing.

"Like on a date!" she chirped.

"Oh..."

NO

Armin quickly pulled his hand away from the girl as if she were a scalding kettle. He began to fiddle with his fingers, and all the plans and things he had rehearsed to say to Hitch flew right out of the door in his mind. He gulped as he looked at Hitch nervously.

"Uhh...Hitch, I-I need to tell you something."

The girl raised a brow at the sudden change.

"What's wrong?"

She waited expectantly, looking straight at Armin and wondering why he had pulled away.

Armin sucked in a breath and spoke.

"I lied to you about Y/n..."

The boy looked everywhere first, and then to Hitch.

The girl was genuinely lost.

"Um, who's Y/n?"

"Heh," Armin laughed nervously. "Becky?"

"Oh." Hitch said unenthusiastically. "What about her?"

Armin inhaled deeply, and he pushed himself to come clean.

Let it out, man.

"I do like her. A lot," he confessed. "I just-I didn't want to tell you back then on Valentine's Day because we weren't--ah, friends... But now we are! And I feel as though I can trust you with this secret..." he finished, near close to whispering.

Hopefully? He thought to himself. He prayed.

Hitch's eyes narrowed, and then she huffed and crossed her arms.

Pouting, she looked away.

"You know, you suck at rejecting girls," she stated haughtily. "That was the worst rejection I've ever heard!"

She frowned deeply towards the window, and Armin panicked, stammering.

"I'm-I'm sorry!" he exclaimed genuinely. "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings! I just wanted to be honest!"

Hitch pursed her lips before glancing at the boy. Upon seeing his worried, blue eyes, she sighed, chuckling weakly.

"So, I was right back then," she muttered.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, Hitch. I didn't want to lead you on," the blonde reassured her. "But you can't tell anyone about this!" he added. "Can you promise me that?"