Chapter 12: Shades of Life

Happy (early) Wednesday!

~♢~

Mr. Goldilocks: Hey, I'm outside. Also, don't forget your permission slip!

Y/n smiled down in gratitude at the text and pressed her polished nails against the worn phone's cracked screen in reply to her best blonde.

McNugget: Thank you!!!

After putting her phone back in her pocket, she finished putting on her sweater and tying her shoelaces, stopping beside her cluttered desk and seeing the signed permission slip right at the top of the heap of papers. She opened her backpack up, readying to put the paper into it, but pulled her hand back as soon as she felt her phone vibrate.

Groaning out of displeasure, she set her backpack down and took the call.

"Hey, what's up, Connie?"

"Y/N! Do you happen to have any leftover fruit snacks? Like the ones you brought for lunch yesterday? I'm asking for a friend..."

Chuckling, Y/n reached over to the small box of fruit snacks on her desk, tossing a handful of them into her backpack to pass out later to her friends.

"And does this friend of yours happen to have red hair and chaos in her eyes?"

Feigning a gasp, Connie responded.

"Are you a mind reader?"

"You guessed exactly right, Connie. Well, I'll bring some for you guys, but I gotta go. Armin's waiting outside and he's spamming the crap out of my phone."

Y/n's preoccupied mind focused on Armin's nagging texts as she reached out to grab the paper on her desk. She rolled her eyes upon reading his usual half-hearted threats of how he was close to having her walk by herself.

"Geez, it's 6:45. I know Sasha and I have to be here early for zero period, but damn, you and Armin are punctual as fuck."

"Trust me. If I didn't have a massive soft spot for him, I would have told his ass to walk to school without me so that I could get in some more beauty sleep. This is why I always look like shit, Connie." Y/n jested and Connie laughed lightly, his light voice soon becoming the background to a large symphony of out-of-tune instruments and excited chatter. The loud pulsation of the drumline streamed clear as day through the phone.

"Aight, the band's heading out to the field to do drills, so I won't keep you any longer from your husband. See you at school!"

Y/n stared in shock at the ended phone call, pursing her lips as she felt a rush of heat come up to meet her face. She snapped out of it as soon as she saw her phone ring yet again, but this time with Armin on the other line.

Instead of answering, she hung up on him in favor of quickly zipping her backpack shut and running out of her room, making her way to the door and rushing out to meet the blonde outside. She saw Armin giving her an affectionate glare with crossed arms and a tapping foot to match, his hip jutting out in the most exaggerated way as Y/n fawned over the outfit he had chosen to wear that day.

"A cutie pie in a brown belt and black jeans. Is he trying to kill me?"

"Where have you been, young lady?" He asked in a faux, authoritative tone.

Averting her eyes, Y/n began to walk alongside Armin. She answered him.

"Sorry. I had to make a pitstop to Germany so that I could search for the sleep that I'm missing, since someone insists on going to school so early."