Chapter 15: 180 Degrees

And so it begins

Happy Thursday, fellow clowns

~~

"Hey, Marlowe? Do you have an eraser I can borrow?"

It was second period German class, and Hitch was acting cavalier as usual as she leaned nonchalantly in her seat and set her eyes on the inexpressive boy next to her.

Marlowe, sighing for the thousandth time in Hitch's presence, handed the girl a pink eraser. She took it gently from him, as if the eraser was something precious, and she placed it carefully on her desk, keeping an eye on it as if the thing would fly away at any moment.

The boy with the bowl-cut looked at her, puzzled by her behavior.

"What in the world are you doing?"

Hitch, still keeping her focus on the pristine eraser in front of her, responded to Marlowe in a tone that the boy could have easily confused as being satirical.

"Even though I've lost countless of your erasers and pencils over the years, you keep letting me borrow them and that's really cool of you. So this time, I won't lose it! I'll keep my eye on it!" She finished with a determined look on her face, and Marlowe simply raised a brow at the girl and her odd personality. But he applauded her charisma.

"Alright, Hitch. Don't distract the eraser from class," he murmured sarcastically and the girl gave him an absent-minded thumbs up.

Behind the two of them was a pair of anxiety-stricken teens, smiling joyfully to themselves as they made up both of their minds to do something after school that would, without a doubt, change everything that they had come to know in their frivolous high school careers.

"I'm going to tell her today."

"I'm going to tell him today."

They both thought to themselves and began to plan out their every move, going over their game plans while simultaneously mustering up the courage that they were in desperate need of.

Armin breathed in deeply to slow his racing heart.

"Ok, now do it!"

"Hey, Y/n, would you maybe wanna hang out after school? I wanted to...talk to you about something. Something important that I've been putting off for a while now."

Armin was surprised at how he hadn't managed to stutter once in his question, and Y/n was surprised that she didn't even have to ask the boy to hangout afterschool anymore. It was convenient!

"Oh, I was actually gonna ask the same!" She gave him a small smile, and Armin returned it. But Y/n began to feel a bit on edge.

"Should I worry about what you want to talk about later?" She laughed nervously as her shifting eyes looked around anywhere but Armin, and the blonde waved a shaky hand in dismissal.

"N-No, of course not!"

The two of them sat without speaking another word towards each other. Y/n anxiously tapped her pencil against the desk to no particular beat, channeling her worries through it and dispelling some of her pent up nervousness.

Armin became the opposite. He kept his shaking hands folded across the table for him to see. He tried his best to take the necessary breaths to calm himself.

"Heya, kiddos!"

In an instant, Ms. Ral's voice was enough to breach the bubble of nervousness that had built up between the two of them.

The woman had approached them a minute before class began, looking chipper as always.

"I just wanted to see if either of you two were interested in getting extra credit after school by helping me make a cute poster for our fourth period German class?"