Chapter 3: Bettors in the Making

A/N: I'll try my best to start posting regularly on Sundays. Have a good one guys c:  

~♢~

You and Armin were having the time of your lives playing Smash. You had accomplished the great feat of winning against him, which none of the boys had been able to do so. You would win some and you'd lose some, but no one really kept score. The highlight of it all was the way that the two of you went back and forth with the trash talk.

"Y/n, your move sets are so basic." He teased.

"Well, at least all of my hits have landed." You retorted back.

Armin simply smiled. He loved spending time with you in general, even if you were throwing insults at him fueled by the spirit of competition. He especially loved the close contact. The way the two of you would occasionally nudge each other to throw the other off, the way you two were practically squished together because of the small couch where Bertholdt and Marco were also seated at. If he could have it his way, it would be just the two of you gaming in an empty room where annoying friends weren't around to tease. But this would do for now.

Meanwhile, Jean and Reiner were snickering to themselves, quietly making fun of the two of you on the opposite couch. "They'd make such a weird couple, don't you think?" Reiner noted as he saw the way you two bumped shoulders and knees while wearing goofy smiles.

Jean nodded in agreement. "Heh, yeah. But they're both nerds so it makes sense. I wonder who'll make the first move. Probably Y/n."

Reiner turned to him with a puzzled frown. "Really? I don't know, I think Armin would be the first to do it. Gotta give him some credit. Sure, he seems a bit wimpy, but he has his moments."

"Hey, you two blockheads should lower your voices. You don't want them hearing you." Eren whispered hastily over at Reiner and Jean as he kept a weary eye on the two that were currently gaming. "But anyways, I gotta agree with Reiner on this one. Armin's gonna cave and say it first."

Jean couldn't help but roll his eyes. His previous annoyance came back full swing. Of course Eren would butt into conversations just like he always does. The green-eyed miscreant was always looking for his next venture. "Pfft, I'm telling you two, Y/n may seem like a shy girl, but she's gonna go for it. I can feel it." Jean whispered back confidently, earning curious glances from Reiner and Eren. What the two of them didn't know was that Jean had the inside scoop on the situation between you and Armin. After having talked to you, Jean felt as if he had nudged you in the right direction. "Of course my advice will get through to Y/n!" He wore a knowing smile as he peered at you from across the couch.

"Oh? Wanna bet on it?" Reiner looked to Jean with a sly smile. He wasn't normally a betting man, but he was feeling bored and just wanted to see if he could cop a free lunch. "If I'm right," he then looked at Jean seriously, "then you owe me and Eren some food at the diner." At the mention of free food, Eren's eyes lit up. The brunette nodded along enthusiastically to Reiner's proposition.

"What the hell? No way!" Jean whispered a bit loudly, gaining puzzled expressions from Marco and Bertholdt from the other couch. You and Armin were too stuck in the game to pay attention.

Reiner kept a cool head as he thought on how he could possibly convince Jean to comply. He would attack his pride. "Then, you don't think you're right? 'Cause it sounds to me that if you did, you would have agreed to the bet since you sounded so smug about Y/n making the first move."

"Yeah, Jean. It also seems like you're pretty scared to lose." Eren gave Jean one those damned smiles that always managed to peeve him off.

If there was anything that Jean hated more than Eren getting in the way of his Mikasa-related plots, it was being wrong. With gritted teeth he gave in. "Fine. But what do I get out of it?"