Chapter 11: The Backdrop

Happy Saturday guys

~♢~

Y/n's breaths wisped out of her trembling lips and into the stark air, momentarily materializing as plumes of white fog and fading as quickly as they had come. She tried to calm her breathing, her heart, and took in raggedy gulps of air as she slowed her light jog into a stroll, her feet aching after every step she took on the blacktop. Every puff of air she took in was like fire against her throat and in her lungs; her nose burned at the dry, coldness. She clutched onto her cramping side and groaned, looking over to her friend to share in her misery.

"Hey...Armin," she said in breathless pants, "how are ya feeling?"

"I'm feeling...just great." Armin could hardly gasp out his words as he turned his flushed, anguished face towards Y/n. "I hate the mile."

"Me too, bud." Y/n agreed, hating the fact that on their first week back to school after break, they had a mile on a Wednesday. Not only was she freezing, but she was exhausted from staying up at night, struggling to finish her homework at a reasonable time. She knew it was her fault for procrastinating. But she still blamed the homework. Sometimes she wished she could have the same work ethic as the withered boy walking next to her.

Armin, having recovered from what he considered to have been the worst feeling ever, was now ready to dive back into another burst of jogging. He nudged Y/n's shoulder and nodded his head forward towards the long stretch of grass that laid up ahead, the last part in their trek.

"C'mon, Y/n, let's go."

"Armiiiiin...I don't wanna." Y/n whined softly, her eyes now looking at the blonde and silently pleading for him to spare her. Armin sighed.

"But you have to, so push through the pain. Just think about it, once this is over and we get through the rest of our classes, we get to go play games. But after we've done our homework, of course." He added that last bit sternly, causing Y/n to chuckle at his diligence.

"Can we get pizza?"

"On a Wednesday?"

"It's pizza time all the time, bro."

"Good point. Fine, but just this once."

"Thank you! I'll buy it." Y/n had reached out with her hand to squeeze Armin's as she often found herself doing nowadays. Armin made no complaint as he smiled, loving the warmth of Y/n's delicate hand in his.

"By the way, thanks for letting me borrow your hair tie. It helps to not have my hair fly all over the place while I run." The blonde smiled gratefully towards Y/n, and the girl looked to him to admire who she considered to be the cutest boy in Paradis High.

"You're welcome." Y/n blushed as she opened her mouth to compliment her friend, but a shrill whistle and a booming voice pierced the air and startled the two of them.

"HEY, TEEN LESBIANS, QUIT HOLDING HANDS AND GET BACK TO RUNNING!" 

Mortified, Armin and Y/n looked back towards the direction of the shouting.

Mr. Shadis, clad in his usual tracksuit, glared menacingly over at the two terrified teens as he held his signature, polished whistle in between his fingers.

He took one glance at Armin and squinted.

"Oh, my bad. I thought Arlert over there was Reiss in a ponytail. Now get back to running!" He pointed towards the field up ahead and Y/n and Armin shot off running faster than they ever had before. Both of their faces flushed from embarrassment and their dignity had been reduced to atoms as they heard what sounded to be Sasha and Connie snickering from behind them before more yelling from Shadis ensued.