Chapter 10: Wilting Before Blooming

IMPORTANT!!!!!

Just a heads up, there will be a reference to an event that happened in Season 4 of the series (or I guess technically the manga did it first) so pls be wary of that and don't get spoiled, that's the last thing I would want to do to anyone. If you don't really give a crap, it's not that detailed here in this chapter. And the scene in question isn't a huge development towards the plot or anything. But regardless, you've been warned

~♢~

Saturday, December 18th, 20XX

Y/n ate breakfast in solitude at the round, cozy table in her dimly lit kitchen, all light from outside being mostly shrouded by the sky's thick blanket of clouds. She loved mornings like this, where she would decide to drag a blanket over her shoulders for the rest of the day.

The bowl of finished cereal was placed carefully in the sink along with the spoon. Y/n blankly stared out of the kitchen window at the green lawn of her backyard, admiring the bright petals of the potted poinsettia that was situated atop the stark, white cement. Her eyes became downcast as her sight lingered on the cheerful, mocking flower, which seemingly shrugged off the cold wisp of winter's breath.

She laughed quietly, dryly, finding it comical that her mother had attempted to decorate the house with the single poinsettia and the small, unlit Christmas tree shoved into an obscure corner of the house.

Languidly, she glided back towards her room and closed the door. Her head began to feel fuzzy from tiredness once again, so she curled in on herself on top of her messy bed, falling into a light sleep with one thought in mind.

She would much rather have her mother than any decorations at all.

~♢~

Sunday, December 19th

5pm was usually the time Y/n switched from being on her phone to drifting in and out of sleep. But this 5pm surprised her.

She was feeling slightly annoyed from being awoke by a light tapping on her door. Her mother stepped in with partially damp hair and peered down at the squinting girl, smiling at the dazed expression on her daughter's face.

Y/n's mood quickly shifted as she perked up at seeing the woman standing in her door frame.

"Hi mom." She yawned out, now sitting up at the side of her bed.

"Hi, sweetheart, I made something to eat. Come to the table."

And then Y/n found herself sitting in comfortable silence with her mother, eating spaghetti with a side of steamed broccoli that she begrudgingly ate per her mother's request.

She slurped down her mother's pasta with zest, not having noticed that she hadn't eaten since- well, she hadn't eaten at all.

The woman sitting across from her looked at her in amusement, noting how with each passing bite, Y/n's face became even more caked in sauce.

"You need to pace yourself, love."

"Sorry." Y/n grabbed the napkin next to her and dabbed at her mouth. "I was just hungry."

Her mother's brows furrowed.

"Did you not eat breakfast?"

Y/n looked up sheepishly in response before focusing back down on her plate, her fork twirling as she wrapped up another bite of pasta.

"I guess I forgot...but it doesn't always happen." She said quietly.

The woman in front of her heaved out a breath, long and critical. "Y/n, you can't do that. You need to eat. You know that a lack of food can cause multiple health issues. Are you even taking your pills?" Her mother asked sharply, staring down at her daughter. The girl kept quiet, hoping that her despondency was enough of an answer for the angry woman in front of her.