15│A BRAVE NEW WORLD, PT. 1

Start from the beginning

"I— um, yes," she stammered out, shocked that he was able to pick up on that. "I didn't tell anyone except for Celeste and my parents. How on earth?"

"I've known you and Shawn for many years now, Juliet. It does not come as a surprise to me that you would take this next step. You have always been a loyal friend; I don't think that you need my help for this decision."

"I suppose not," she murmured. "I just wanted a. . . second opinion without someone, well, spilling the beans, so to speak."

The older man gave her a fond smile. "You certainly don't need my permission to do anything, but I think that this is the right action for you."

🌎🌎🌎
[Notorious, 2.3]

"Name the person who did and you walk out of here scot-free."

Juliet and Cory looked at each other. As the girl shook her head, Cory said, "I'm sorry. We can't do that."

"You thought about this and that's your final answer?"

"Yeah."

"You've decided that protecting a friendship is more important the grisly punishment I shall now have to dispense?"

"Yes," Juliet replied firmly. "Even though he didn't mean to hurt anyone. He just wanted to do something that would make others see him as somebody special."

Mr. Feeny gave her a searching look. "To make others see him a somebody special?" he repeated. "Not himself?"

"He's already special," she answered quietly as she avoided their teacher's sharp gaze.

"To be somebody special is a quality from within, Miss Capelwood. I know you know that. To give an example, I think it's a very rare quality for one to put a friend's welfare before their own."

"But just a second ago you wanted us to rat on him," Cory said, confused.

"As your new principal, yes. But as your teacher, as someone who lived and watched you grow up, I never expected it for a moment."

🌎🌎🌎

"Shawnie?"

"Hmmm?"

They were lying on his bed with the red-haired girl resting her head against her boyfriend's chest as his arms wrapped securely around her. She shifted slightly to look up at him. "Have you thought any more about England?"

"Yeah," he admitted quietly as he avoided her eyes.

She felt a spark of hope ignite in her chest. "Oh?"

"I think you should go," he said. "I don't want you to miss something like this because of me."

"But what about you? What about you coming with me?"

"England is much farther than the seventy miles to New York," Shawn replied, "and it's cold and rainy and—"

"So is New York," she interrupted him. "Especially in the winter." There was a pause as she debated sharing her plans with him before she added, "what if I asked you to marry me?"

He stilled. "What?"

"What if I pulled a Cory and Topanga? The only reason why I wouldn't go to England is because you wouldn't come with me. I want you to be with me, Shawnie."

He was still trying to process her first suggestion. What if I asked you to marry me?

He had everything he ever wanted right within his grasp. Juliet Capelwood would finally be Juliet Hunter, just like he'd always proclaimed she would be.