Chapter 10

A few weeks went by and I got closer to the Cullen family. They were great friends and they had proved themselves to be trustworthy again. Trust is very important in the criminal business because if you're considered trustworthy, your life depends on that person.

Edward was slowly becoming closer to me but his friendship didn't seem like the friendship I had with the others. It felt like something more than friendship. We would flirt during lunch, much to the amusement of the table and Edward would always find ways to give light touches. I was ashamed to say that I was developing a crush on him.

That was turning out to be very dangerous territory.

One day during lunch, Edward mentioned the upcoming Halloween fund raiser.

"Oh, I can't wait to go!" clapped Alice "I'm planning the outfits for Jasper and me. We're going as something completely original."

"What would that be?"

"I don't know yet but when I do, I'll make sure to tell you so that we don't wear the same outfits."

"Well, I think I'll be going as a nurse and Emmett will be my doctor" Rosalie said while winking at Emmett. I wrinkled my nose at them.

"Don't worry Bella; their costumes won't be too raunchy for the school dance." Edward said while chuckling at me.

"That's not what I was making a face for."

"Oh, well then never mind. You'll get used to their rabbit ways."

"Hold on, why did you think I thought their costumes were going to be too revealing? Is that what you thought the face was for? Maybe I like to go all out for Halloween." I informed Edward but he just chuckled at my reasoning.

"No offense Bella, but you don't seem like the type of girl who would wear an elaborate or skimpy costume."

"For your information Edward, just because you say 'no offense', it won't guarantee that the person will let themselves be insulted. So no offense, but you don't really know me as well as you think you do. Just you wait until Halloween Edward; you won't be able to recognize me."

Edward smirked at the challenge. It really ticked me off when people assumed that they knew me. Alice started clapping her hands while we were staring each other down and Edward turned to look at her strangely.

"I'm going to help you out with your costume Bella! Oh, it is going to be fabulous! Rosalie, you're helping as well."

We settled back to talking throughout lunch while I started thinking. Pretty soon, Alice and Rosalie are going to be coming over. How was I going to explain the girls? I wanted to tell the Cullens about myself after Halloween but I guess that either I'll have to get Tuna and Fish to Moz's house or I was going to come clean soon. Real soon.

Edward and I walked to Biology together in silence. He sensed that I needed some time thinking so he walked in companionable silence. I worked out my plan and nodded my head to myself. God, I must look stupid doing this.

"Are you feeling all right Bella?"

"Uh, yeah. Why do you ask?"

"Well, you nodded to yourself and that is not something that a normal person would do."

I scoffed.

"Who wants to be normal when being weird is so much better? I like a bit of craziness now and then."

"That's an interesting philosophy you have there. What makes you so weird though? You don't exactly strike me as too odd."

I don't know why Edward pushed my buttons so much. Other people are capable of saying those exact words and they don't bother me as much but with Edward, I always want to surprise him. Maybe I feel like I have to prove something to him. Either way, his words made me want to give him the shock of his life. I looked him in the eye and winked at his confused face.