2-Too Much To Ask?

Whispers and murmurs filled the room as Ron and Hermione entered.
"It's the Golden Trio without the Chosen One,"
"They're Harry Potter's friend,"
"I heard they almost died last year,"
"Well, my mum said they're the ones who made Hogwarts into a mess last year,"
"Shhhh, they're listening,"

Hermione gulped as she looked around nervously and took her place at the edge of the Gryffindor's table next to Ron. Professor McGonagall's goblet made a clear ringing sound as she tapped it with her teaspoon.
"Welcome back to Hogwarts," she greeted," and welcome, to all our new first years."
With a flick of her wand, the Great Hall was decorated into multiple colors and flags. She made her speech and the first years got sorted one by one.

Hermione tried to concentrate hard on McGonagall's speech, but the murmuring around her kept distracting her. Ron wasn't even bothering to listen, as always. He stared at the walls with a blank expression. Hermione opened her eyes wide, staring at the professors, listening to every word they say.
"Hogwarts, has been restored back to normal thankfully, after the war. Many volunteers, and workers came to restore Hogwarts. It took a but of time for the destruction was great, but we finally managed to restore everything. Now, a round of applause for our maintenance office, Mr. Filch!"

"Excuse me, are you really Hermione Granger?"
A little voice asked.
It was a second year girl. Since Hermione couldn't go to school last year, the kids barely new her. Hermione was slightly annoyed, but she managed to smile.
"Yes, sweetie. May I help you?"
"My friend kept saying you and Ron Weasley are dating. Is it true?" she chirped, eyeing Ron.
Ron coughed loudly next to Hermione.
"Ah, sweetheart, I think you should go back to your seat," Hermione hushed as she gave the girl a little shove and motioned her to sit down.

"Are we dating?" Hermione frowned as she suddenly asked Ron.
She realized they had never clarified.
Unfortunately, a sound of applause cut her off.
"Pardon?" Ron asked, asking her to repeat.
"Never mind," Hermione sighed as she turned around.

They went to their rooms and got sorted out. They were constantly bothered by other students with questions, signatures, and photographs. They were bothered until the lights in the bedrooms went out.
Hermione tossed and turned in her bed. Forcing her eyes shut, trying to sleep. It felt so hot, even though it was September.
Tick tock tick tock
The clock struck 1. She was so tired, but she just couldn't fall asleep. She decided to read a book to fall asleep. Pulling on her robes, she grabbed her book and sneaked down quietly to the common room.
"Who's there?"
An alarmed voice suddenly asked. Surprised, Hermione dropped her book. The light wasn't on in the common room.
"Oh, it's you," the voice sighed.
Hermione could see bright fiery red hair next to the window by the moonlight. Sighing of relief, she picked up her book and walked to Ron.
"I couldn't sleep," she told him as she placed her book on the windowsill.
"Mm..same here," Ron whispered as he placed an arm around Hermione.

They sat on the couch, sitting close to each other. The room was silent except for the sound of their breathing. Ron felt his troubled heart relax a little with Hermione next to him. He ran his fingers through her hair as he brushed his lips on her forehead.
"Ron?"
"Hmm?"
"Thanks for coming,"
Ron smiled in the dark as he kissed her forehead.

Hermione woke up the next morning on the couch. Ron was nowhere to be found. She must have fallen asleep on Ron last night. A blanket covered her.
"Merlin," she swore under her breath as she jumped out and changed into her robes quickly.
She was late on the first day of school. Grabbing her books, she ran quickly ran to class. She kicked the door open, huffing.
"Sorry!!" She blurted as she carried all her heavy books and plopped them next to Ron.
"Why didn't you wake me?" Hermione whispered.
"I did. You didn't wake up," Ron whispered back.
Hermione sighed as she quickly turned her book. The classes were easy since Hermione had studied over the break.

During lunch break, they were constantly pestered and bothered by other students asking them for details about the war and such. It was pretty stressful being pestered the whole day and Hermione decided they've had enough. Ron was stressed out already just by returning to Hogwarts, and they were being bothered. Reporters and journalists came over asking them millions of questions.
It was painful for them to bring back the horrible memories and they were forcing them almost. It was torturous for them. Hermione asked their HeadMaster to please let them have a quiet and peaceful last year. It was her purpose of returning, to let their wounds heal by pretending everything was alright and to turn their time back to before the war.
In order to hide from their annoying "fans" , they spent their time in the Chamber of Secrets.
Ron had become extremely quiet since he was too tired. Hermione sighed as she leaned on Ron's steady shoulders.
"Ron?"
"Mm?"
"Can we do something?"
Ron chuckled, and Hermione could hear him in his steady shoulders.
"Do you want to dance?" He joked.
Hermione smiled, "Why not?"

Ron stood up and held out a hand to Hermione. He made an exaggerated curtsy bow and said, "My beautiful lady, may I have the dance?"
Hermione bowed back, lifting her skirt slightly, "Why not?"

They danced happily, skipping around the entire Chamber, laughing and giggling. Ron hummed a melody as they danced. By the end of the dance, they were huffing and trying to catch their breath. They looked into each other's eyes as they smiled. Ron placed a hand on her cheeks as he tried to catch his breath.
'Merlin, he's going to kiss me,' Hermione screamed excitedly to herself.
Ron's face turned slightly to the side, and Hermione closed her eyes, and their lips were about to crash, when suddenly, they were interrupted by the bell.
Ron quickly turned around, trying to avoid the awkwardness. Hermione lifted her hands in the air, thinking, 'Really?'
"We're going to be late," Ron said as he smiled sheepishly.
Hermione smiled as she sighed silently and hopped off after Ron.