All That Glitters Is Gold.

TW —Blood

Draco

I woke up the following morning with Laurel tangled in my embrace. She was soundly sleeping. I eased her out of my arms trying not to wake her up, she needed her rest. Who can say for certain the last time she was able to peacefully fall asleep without worrying she'd be awoken with a lit wand in-between, aiming to torture her.

I swung my legs over the bed, stood up, and approached my wardrobe, and began to dress for the day. Once I was finished tying my tie, I took a seat in the lounge chair across my room, and opened up a book about dark magic, and began to read.

Between pages and chapters, I would glance up at the girl lying in my bed and release a sigh of grief. She has been through so much in the last twenty-four hours because of me. I'm her husband. When I said "I do", I was making a vow to protect her. I failed her.

A glint of light reflecting on the shiny band around her finger interrupted my gaze on my beautiful wife. I placed my book down and left it open to my current page, and approached her, and gently removed the ring from her finger.

I carried it with me to the bookshelf in my room and immediately began scanning for a specific book on charms and enchantments that I had just last night. A knock at the door paused my search. I stood up straight and opened the wooden door.

When opening it, I saw my mother, visibly distraught and guilted expression painted on her pale face. She looked into the room and allowed her eyes to land on a sleeping Laurel. She sighed and rested her forehead into her fingertips.

"Is she alright?" She asked worriedly. I nodded assuringly, and her face instantly lit up some. My mother has cared about Laurel since the day she was born. Even though I have no remembrance of the girl, my mother assured me that she has mentioned her goddaughter from time to time, even if she never said her name. "We need to talk." Her voice was faint and frail.

I nodded my head once and stepped out of the room and into the hall closing the door behind me except all for a crack so I can hear if she woke up.

"We need you downstairs in the drawing-room."

"What for? Auntie Bella isn't torturing another mudblood is she?" I groaned. "I can't understand what you expect me to do, mother. The crazy old bat wouldn't dare listen to me of all people. She thinks I'm untrustworthy." I scoffed irritably. I don't know what y mother would like me to do. Though I know the lunatic woman would never dare to hurt me without feeling the repercussions of what my mother and father would do to her, but I'd rather not risk getting hexed.

"We need your help identifying someone, Draco." She said in hushed tones. She peeked into the crack in the door and gazed at my sleeping Laurel once more before turning back to me.

"It's Potter," I sighed. "isn't it?"

She slowly nodded.

"Give me a minute." I huffed.

"What's that you've got there?" She paused and stared at the jewel in my hand. "Is that your great-grandmother's ring?" She asked. "You're giving it to Laurel?" A glint of happiness appeared in her blue eyes.

"I already did if that's okay," I said. I handed the silver band to her and allowed her to examine it carefully.

"You added quite the amount of diamonds and emeralds to this." She stared. She offered a fainted smirk. "It's exquisite. But why'd you take it away from her if you already gave it to her?" She inquired. "You're not having second thought about your relationship, are you."

"No, I'm going to enchant it so she always knows when I'm in danger. I've already done the same with my Slytherin ring. I cannot be separated from her anymore and not know if she's safe or not."