• 17 •

roomie

4:30 p.m.
•••

clay and his mother decided to go out for lunch despite their position with just losing their loved one.

"tell me about him." his mother says as dream is about to put a piece of steak in his mouth.

"about.. who?" he says, putting his fork down and reaching for his raspberry tea.

"your roommate! is he cute?" his mother says, dream chokes a bit on his drink.

you know, it's sweet that she's wanting to be accepting but right now of all places?

"he's... yeah, he's cute." dream says, "he moved in just recently, he's at home with patches right now." dream says, his mother looks at him with a confused expression, "my cat.. patches is my cat ma." dreams mom perks up and coo's "awwwwh! i'll have to meet them both someday!"

dreams smiles at his mother. his phone buzzes in his pocket, he pulls it out to check who had texted him.

george: everything okay?

dream looks up from his phone and smiles at his mom "speaking of my roommate."

dream: dad passed away, he apologized for everything before he flat lined. i'm at lunch with mom, we're both surprisingly taking it well.

george: jesus, i'm so sorry for your loss. are you guys doing okay?

dream: yeah, we both knew it was gonna come some day, we accept it with open arms. atleast he's not in pain anymore, yk?

george: yeah, is your mom doing okay?

dream: she asked about you

george: me?

dream smiles at his phone screen, he's going back home with something familiar, something kind and warm.

his mother speaks up, snapping him from his thoughts "do you like him?" she says as she's done chewing the piece of steak she put in her mouth.

dream tenses up, this is all too fast for him. he's happy that his mother is back in his life but he hasn't gotten a chance to ease into it yet.

"i'll let you know when we catch up fully with each other, ma." he says, shooting her a half assed smile.

"i'm sorry honey, i understand." she says, his mother always made his boundaries heard. she hasn't changed a bit.