Gambling

The basement of the extravagant Victorian home constructed the perfect setting for a subtle and private establishment offering different activities.

Wooyoung spotted the bar first that covered the left corner of the room. A servant in the same uniform as the man who had allowed them in stood behind the wooden spread and awaited orders to grab any of the oddly shaped glass bottles that shone in various colours in the dim light.

Aside from the bar, a corner with velvet-covered couches ruled the back of the room. A group of people sat there with their companions, smoking and talking while upholding their stiff position in their expensive clothing that was more for show than comfort.

The rest of the room offered a plethora of game activities. To the left stood a pool table with all balls and cues neatly arranged. Right up ahead, a group of chattering people sat at a round table and played cards in a much more sophisticated way than the stable workers Wooyoung had seen. With their cigars and their liquor at hand, they cast nonchalant glances left and right that searched for hints of how to strategise on each other's faces and postures.

A shelf at the back held more games. Some were based on plain luck and others provided intellectual stimulus and that could be won by successfully figuring out mathematical patterns and chances. The collection was sizable for this day and age.

Wooyoung curiously eyed his surroundings as the people at both tables greeted San boisterously.

"Lord Everly, what do we owe the honour of your visit? You rarely bring guests!" A man with greying mutton chops called out from the couch in the back. He lifted his glass at them in greeting as San led Wooyoung further inside the room by the small of his back. The sweet smoke cloying the air couldn't flee through any windows and made Wooyoung second-hand dizzy.

"I wanted to introduce my friend here to our delightful evenings. When I told him about all the brilliant debates we've had here, he couldn't help getting curious." San called back. The elegant use of words resonated in Wooyoung's chest. The smile sneaking onto his face was partly genuine because he adored San so much.

"Then you brought him to the right place. We always love to see new people around. Who is he?" a woman at the card table asked. The group pulled two chairs over to make space for the newcomers in their round. Wooyoung eyed the three men and two women, trying to make out which of them would be his spokesperson.

"He's an Italian lord, son of the duke of Salerno. His name is Wooyoung."

Wooyoung sat down first and gave the round a charming smile. The two women tucked their heads together to whisper about him, while the man to his right gave him his hand.

"Thrilled to meet you! I am Lord Wellington and this is my stunning wife."

Wooyoung copied the man's gentle squeeze and nodded at the blond woman in the deep green dress.

"This is Sir Jones and Sir Choi Jongho," San continued the introduction. He beckoned at the man to his left and then at the dark-haired man with the attentive eyes opposite of Wooyoung. Wooyoung smiled politely and made sure his eyes didn't stick to Jongho too much. He looked to be closest to Wooyoung's age, but the air of superiority he carried himself with darkened his round features.

"And Lady Farley," San ended with a wink at the brunette. Her red-painted lips formed around a click of her tongue as she glared him down with her bright eyes. Her fury was beautiful on her features, but the same stab of jealousy as before hit Wooyoung when he watched the two of them bickering.

"Let's start a new round and include the two! I can't wait to see how an Italian lord plays. How exciting," Lady Wellington said as she handed her cards over to her husband. He mixed the cards while Sir Jones stood to get all of them more drinks. It seemed they were for free for this tightly woven group of friends.