Sand in Shoes

On the day of Wooyoung's departure, he was downtrodden. He liked the few friends he had made within such a short time in the brilliant city. If he could, he would have stayed longer, but Yongguk waited for him to continue his travels in Rome.

Early in the morning, Wooyoung had knocked on Mingi's door. He kept the leaves he had plucked for Seungyoun last night securely in his pocket. Just maybe, he had hoped to see Suusaandar again when he had visited the gardens late at night after he had returned from his trip with Mingi. However, not even a slip of orange silk had exposed itself to Wooyoung's eyes.

Mingi knew it was time for Wooyoung to leave. So when he opened the door to find Wooyoung with lowered eyes in front of it, a coo immediately left his lips.

"Oh, don't be sad, friend. I will be here for a while, you can come back anytime! There are so many more things that I can show you in Babylon!" Mingi waved his hands around to cheer Wooyoung back up. His tall figure looked clumsy in his efforts, but Wooyoung appreciated him with a thin smile.

"I hope I can... Someday."

The one thing Wooyoung hated about time travel was how he got accustomed to an epoch and its people and had to leave them knowing the bitter end they would take. Most cultures he visited got wiped out by wars or the force of nature. Seeing Babylon in its golden glory and knowing it would be destroyed entirely all too soon ripped Wooyoung's heart into tiny shreds.

"Until then, I wish you all the good in the world. May your gods bless your life and your trip home."

Pouting, Wooyoung looked up at the friendly giant. As an offer, he opened his arms. When Mingi tilted his head at him, Wooyoung grumbled into the collar of his tunic.

"Want to share a hug?"

"Isn't that... Too intimate for our friendship?" Insecure, Mingi shifted in the spot. He seemed to want to reach out, too, to accept the proposal, but he didn't want to insult Wooyoung.

"In my culture, we do it to share affection between friends, too," Wooyoung said. A light went on behind Mingi's eyes and his usual smile was back.

"Oh, in that case, of course! I will make an exception for you." Mingi had to giggle as if they were about to do something forbidden. Before either of them could wrap each other into their arms, however, a pained whine two rooms over reached their ears. Wooyoung's face fell when he turned his head in the sound's direction. A moment later, another wail coupled with a sharp crack sounded. Wooyoung flinched as if the whip had hit him instead of the slave.

"Maybe not here. I apologise." Mingi reached out to pull Wooyoung inside his room and quietly shut the door. His eyes were lowered submissively. He was just as sorry for the punished slave as he was unable to help.

Wooyoung sighed. Just like the bright and clean alleys compared to the dim ones, Babylon's social structure had its shadow sides, too.

Before Mingi could fumble for an explanation, Wooyoung stepped in to hug him. Their feet brushed when Mingi embraced him back with a surprised squeak. His warm body was narrow in Wooyoung's arms.

For a moment, they rested with Wooyoung's head leaned against Mingi's chest and Mingi's cheek settled on his head. Mingi's heartbeat was hammering under Wooyoung's face anxiously. Most likely this was the first hug aside from his parents Mingi had ever received.

Wooyoung held him tighter to show him just how wonderful hugs could be. The faint squeeze he received back magicked a smile back onto Wooyoung's lips.

When they parted, Wooyoung was less pessimistic. Mingi's guarded expression fell into a grin as soon as he saw how much better Wooyoung's mood was.

"Shall I accompany you to the gates?" Mingi asked loyally. Wooyoung shook his head.