Spy Mission

Wooyoung and Yeosang had set out in the morning of the next day. Equipped with wandering staffs and bread with cheese and ham that Ada had given them, they squared their shoulders and left Nottingham. With a companion, the forest seemed far less magical, but Wooyoung appreciated Yeosang's fun character. He wouldn't have wanted to chase the book thieves by himself.

"So, where do you know Robin Hood from? Is he famous even up in Loidis?" Yeosang tried to make casual conversation. His awkward smile made it difficult sometimes for Wooyoung to pick up on the man's well-hidden humour, but he guessed well.

"Not so far north, but I heard of him on my journey here. It seems he terrorises many surrounding towns," Wooyoung replied. The air of the forest was still chilly so early in the day, but his leggings kept him unexpectedly warm. He would need to thank Seungyoun for his excellent outfit choices once more when he got back.

"He has been a hassle for several years now, yes." Yeosang nodded in agreement. Under the feet, the acorns from a past winter crunched and fell apart to their bits. The thumping of their staffs on the soft forest floor was irregular. A crow calling at them from a tree reminded Wooyoung of snowed-in pines and firs. Of the man with broad shoulders carrying a double axe in front of him.

Depending on how long this rescue mission of theirs would take, Wooyoung might not have enough time to search for San as well. The robbers had disrupted his plans and he would spend more time with Yeosang than anticipated. Maybe he could leave a message for San somewhere and tell him to meet him in Florence? What if he didn't pass by? Wooyoung would hate it if their lucky streak of reuniting by coincidence had ended after Norway and he would have difficulties finding the man again.

The wind rushed between the leaves of the forest and plucked some of them from their branches to scatter them across the forest floor. The sparse rays of light falling through the treetops met some leaves more than others, and every so often, single parts of branches shone orange and yellow among an otherwise green tree.

Wooyoung and Yeosang wandered in peace. They met two other travellers who asked them for the way to Nottingham. After Yeosang had given them the information they needed, the men had moved on.

After a few hours of wandering, Wooyoung's stomach grumbled. They sat down on a nearby rock formation covered by mushrooms and moss. While they still monitored the road, the two men shared their food. Yeosang told Wooyoung about how long it had taken him to collect and write his records. When Wooyoung had assured him they would get everything back in its place safely, Yeosang had hummed. His troubled frown didn't let up yet.

It took them until the late afternoon to arrive in the area that Yeosang had described as the thieves' territory. The air was warm and full of insects when they left the big path and instead snuck into the undergrowth. Branches cracked under their feet as they approached the bandit camp carefully.

As soon as the first tent appeared between the trees, Yeosang and Wooyoung huddled behind a tree. Ever so cautiously, they peered at the camp.

The group had built their hideout around an old tower in the middle of the forest. Its guarding function had long since been overgrown by the ivy climbing its sides and age, cracking the battlements.

The assortment of tents circled the tower and the surrounding clearing. They had built an open area under a canopy held by wooden sticks. The few men that milled around shared laughter and stew. None of them suspected the two boys stalking them.

"The major group must have gone out to rob people again. Now is the best timing to snatch back what is rightfully ours," Yeosang whispered. The large canopy was responsible for cooking meals and a medical station. Maybe they kept their loot in the tower until they transported it off?