The Door

Chapter 79 will be the last one. Do you want me to keep writing it all in this book or search for a middle to split it in two books on the risk book 1 has no logical cut?

*****
San knew the general direction he wanted to search a hut in. He remembered an old herb witch who lived up the mountains after getting exiled from the village. While she had likely found her unfortunate demise in the rough terrain that offered little food and protection long ago, he was positive that her hut would still be in a good condition.

They had no other options, so Wooyoung followed San dutifully over the lofty hills. To their left, the slope dropped into a steep patch of wood. Every step had to be placed with great patience and care, since slipping meant a long way down. Yet, they stuck to the forest since the snow-dusted trunks would catch their fall if one of them stumbled.

Wooyoung was glad that he only had to wander behind San. For the most part, he could ponder about San's smooth dealing with his immortality. The other man fascinated Wooyoung, and he still had many more questions that popped up in his mind. He didn't say them out loud for now, since San was busy finding a path for them that would safely bring them up the mountain.

The storm from last night showed in the forest. Some branches had broken off under the combined weight of the snow and the wind, and they littered the ground. The west side of all tree trunks was dusted with snow that splattered over the bark like white paint. The occasional rays of the sun that fell through the thick roof of trees and snow left bright patches on the white blanket covering the earth. Brilliant, they shone like quest locations.

Their long journey soon took them out of the forested ground. The earth under their feet exchanged for a solid rock that was both slippery and easier to make out under the thin sheen of snow. For a while, they climbed with their hands and feet over the side of the rock formations. The sun blasted down on them and made San's eyes glow whenever he checked on Wooyoung occasionally.

As noon passed and they took a brief break on the rocks to eat some snow so they would at least feed their bodies some fluid, the snow set in again. The grey clouds bunched around the mountain tops and cast their thick flocks over them.

From up here, the sight was breathtaking. The wintery landscape beneath them tapered into the ocean that contrasted with the white ice surrounding it. Wooyoung couldn't spot the village or any boats, but he knew the Vikings had to be down there.

"Let's go," San said after they had rested for a while. The hiking restarted, but they had reached the level San had needed to orient himself. Soon, they arrived at a crossing point over the mountain range. The Viking halted, wind and snowflakes in his raven hair as he looked around. To help, Wooyoung squinted with him into the distance.

"There it is! Can you see it?"

Wooyoung shuffled closer to align his sight with San's. In response, the Viking wrapped his arm around Wooyoung's shoulders and pointed into the distance.

About another hour of walk away from their vantage point, they spotted a forlorn little hut. It sat nestled on the platform a large boulder provided and was partly snowed in. The walls and door looked to be intact, however. It would be enough.

Glee warmed Wooyoung's chest. When he glanced up at San in awe, the Viking grinned at him triumphantly.

"Let's not waste any more time, come on," San animated him. With a little jump, Wooyoung followed him as they slowly descended the rocks again. San muttered at Wooyoung where to put his feet and hands for the safest route, and soon, they were back on the steep connection between the forest and the cliffs.

For a while, they wandered peacefully in the hut's direction. The wind whizzed around their cold ears and bit at Wooyoung's nose. He wanted to sit down and rest his aching legs, so he looked forward to the hut.