89. Xylok

I looked around in the dark as I walked to the playground. We hadn't discussed a time, so I decided to go once the sun set.

"Prince Jungkook," I heard someone mutter under their breath. I looked around, my hand inching towards the gun safely tucked away in my waistband and hidden by my jacket.

"Who's there?" I demanded. I knew were-dragons had night vision, but only when their eyes glowed. It was easy to find them in the dark. However I was at a disadvantage since I didn't share that ability. "Come out."

Not knowing from which direction the voice came, I walked backwards, occasionally turning around to clear the direction I was headed in. Hearing footsteps behind me, I turned around, only to be tackled to the ground by a dog. My shock only lasted a second as the dog started licking my face. I sat up, craning my neck to avoid the dog's affection.

"Sorry about him, your majesty. He just really likes going up in people's faces," Xylok said. "Sorry for scaring you as well. I didn't know you were on edge."

"Don't apologize. I was being irrational," I said as I pet the dog's fur. "Call me Jungkook. I hate the honorifics. What's his name?"

"Sally. Sal for short. He's a pitbull," he replied. "I normally walk him in the late evening. I was just going to drop him off. Do you want to come or should I meet you at the playground?"

"I'll come," I replied, too quickly for my liking. "I mean- It's just a bit creepy at night. I never noticed."

"Don't worry about it. We should have met earlier if you're uncomfortable with night time," he said, as we walked to a nearby house. "Where's Lana?"

"She wanted to meet her mates, so she went back to the palace," I explained.

"Go on Sal. Go inside," Xylok instructed in a soft tone. He pointed at the dog entrance. "That's my Aunt's house. She was born in the North, and has lived here ever since. Took me a while to find her after I escaped the South."

Once we made sure the dog was safe, we walked to the hill. Apparently the hill was a very common walking spot.

"Did you find your mate?" I asked him.

"Yes. I found her when I was five. She died a month later of a heart condition," he said.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, biting my lip.

"It was a long time ago. I moved on. I barely even knew her, she was always in and out of the hospital, we didn't have the chance to form a bond," he said. After a moment of silence, he spoke up. "What about you?"

"It's a long story," I said. "I do have mates, as you know..."

"But?" he encouraged.

"I don't think we're meant to be," I caved. "We've... We're too toxic. The bond is toxic."

"What about a rejection? You should be able to reject them," he said. We sat on the ground of the cliff that overlooked the town.

"I'm not from this planet. I'm from Jupiter, an exo-planet. We don't have the ability to just reject our soulmates. There are ways you can, but it normally results in death," I explained. "Like I said, it's a long story. Lana and I live in the woods at the moment. I wanted a break from my mates."

"I'm sorry about that. No one deserves to be in a relationship that they don't want to be in," he said in a soft tone.

"Changing the topic, how old are you?" I asked, not wanting the moment to become awkward.

"21," he replied. "I'm a month older than you."

"Oh. I don't know how time works here, I just stick to day and night," I said, shrugging.

"You turn 21 tomorrow," he said.

"How do you even know that?" I asked, looking at him.

"Everyone knows. At this point you don't need to make a public appearance, everyone knows who you are, what you look like. You are royalty," he said.

"Well, that's wonderful," I said, chuckling.

He looked at me, the moonlight illuminating half of his beautiful face. "Do you want an early birthday present?" he asked.

"You don't have to give me-" I started, but he cut me off.

"Nonsense, we're friends now," he brushed me off.

"Friends?" I asked. "No stranger danger?"

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?" he asked.

"Touché," I replied, smiling the brightest I had ever smiled.

"Do you want to be friends?" he asked, leaning in an inch. I subconsciously mirrored him. "Or do you want to be something more?"

"I don't care," I said, and connected our lips. We moved in sync, my heart fluttering and my chest warming up in affection. I felt relaxed and happy as we deepened the kiss. Xylok pulled me so I was straddling him. His hands lovingly ran up and down my thighs while my arms wrapped around his neck. I could feel the breeze pick up its pace, weaving through our hair and making the kiss more romantic. I didn't want the moment to stop, I wanted to bask in the romantic energy between us. I felt free. I felt happy. I felt something I never felt with anyone. We kissed in affection, there was no lust in our first kiss. It was as if the world turned slowly, we had all the time in the world to cherish the moment. Our lips perfectly fit each other, a mix of slightly chapped and luscious texture.

My ideal kiss.