~ Part 11 ~ | Memories

Start from the beginning

"I do not need a different education. I am far ahead of people my age because of you." The boy said. His tone was flat and factual as if he was doing a presentation.

"There are also other kids," The man gave him a long look. "You should be out with friends your age! Meeting the love of your life, making mistakes, and having fun! Not stuck in this cold little cottage with me!"

The boy fell quiet. His eyes stayed glued to the rim of the cup. "I do not need anyone else." He said firmly. "I like it here. At our home. With you and Merlin." He nodded to the falcon. The great bird was perched on his swing, cleaning his feathers diligently.

The man let out a long exhale, rubbing his forehead. "Alright," he said at last. "But if I don't get a job by next month we're going to have to do something."

****

A loud clanking noise filled the air and the boy flinched, nearly crashing into the man. The older male rested a hand on his shoulder and gave him a comforting squeeze.

"It's just a train," he said soothingly.

The boy wrinkled his nose. "It smells awful here. Are the emissions not dangerous for the townspeople?"

"It's okay as long as there isn't too much of it." The man told him. "Don't worry, you don't have to come to the station when I return. It's a long walk and I know you're uncomfortable."

"I will wait for you." The boy said quickly. "I do not mind walking."

The man smiled. "Alright. Remember that I come off at section five then."

The boy nodded. He wouldn't forget. "Do you have everything?"

"Yes, uh, I think so." The man let out a puff of air. It created a warm fog in the chilly air. He bent down to grab his leather suitcase before turning to the boy. "Will you be alright while I'm gone? I know you didn't want me to take this job." He was worried. His crooked fingers fiddled anxiously at his sleeve as he brushed some of his son's hair from his eyes.

"You had to," the boy gently raised a hand to the side of the man's face so they would lock eyes. "I'm sure they're wonderful people. Maybe the uncomfortable feeling was social anxiety."

The man barked with laughter. "That sounds about right." He sobered quickly and hugged the boy. The suitcase knocked painfully against the boy's shoulder but he didn't mind.

"I'll see you in two weeks," the man promised.

"Two weeks." The boy repeated. He'd count down every second.

The man went to get on the train then hesitated. "Are you sure you'll be okay?"

The boy smiled. "What trouble can I get into while you are away?"

"Alright," the man sighed. He gave one last hug goodbye before clambering onto the train. The boy watched as the white-haired man slid into a window seat and looked back at him. "I love you, Zane." He mouthed through the window.

Zane placed a hand over his heart. "I love you too father."

****