~ Part 11 ~ | Memories

~*~*~*~

** Remember Me (Coco) **

~*~*~*~

"Remember me
Though I have to say goodbye
Remember me
Don't let it make you cry
Forever if I'm far away
I hold you in my heart
I sing a secret song to you
Each night we are apart"

~ Miguel

****

This chapter is dedicated to @BlueJayXWaterlily851. Thank you for the comments and for looking at the songs I choose!

(comment or PM if you'd like a shoutout!)

*****

A soft sigh filled the quiet evening as caring hands dabbed gently at a wound. A hiss followed and the hand dropped apologetically. A little boy pulled back, his hand moving protectively over the cut. The kind man treating it smiled gently at him, his face open and trusting. The boy took a deep breath, his tense form relaxing as he allowed the man to continue to clean the injury.

"You can't keep rushing into danger," He scolded. His brown eyes were loving but full of nervous energy. "You're lucky that tree missed you."

There was a sniffle. "The falcon was injured, it couldn't get free from the trap." A worried coo sounded from the bed beside them. The boy smiled, reaching his pale hand to stroke the bird's feathers reassuringly. He let out another pained sound as the cloth hit the broken skin.

There was a tired chuckle. "You were built to protect." He said fondly, ruffling the boy's hair. "To protect those who cannot protect themselves."

"I just want to help." The boy said sincerely. Wrinkles formed around the edges of his eyes as he smiled.

"I know."

****

"There isn't much work around here. We're too far into the middle of nowhere." The man said heavily. "Maybe I shouldn't have rejected that job offer."

"It was a great distance away," The boy was older now. His voice was deeper and he had grown much taller, towering over the aged man like a beanstalk. "You said there was something off about them. You must trust your judgement."

"I know but the money is running out," The man tossed the bills back on the table and leaned back, wincing as his back cracked. "And I'm not getting any younger. People are looking for new, innovative minds. Not an old crow like me."

The boy shook his head with a faint smile. He moved to the sink to take care of the piles of dishes. The man always put it off for too long. The rush of water filled the quiet as he scrubbed at a mug.

"What should we do?" He asked softly.

The man looked away, his body sad. "We could move..." he said slowly.

The boy turned in alarm. His blue eyes were wide. "But I love it here."

"I know but the city has more job opportunities," The man pointed out. "And the school has far better education."