Chapter 53

"Da Hee... Eonni?" I rubbed my eyes and blinking to confirm that I have not mistaken the person standing before me, "Yes?" she attested. My eyes are now wide awake, "B-But you're dead and... wait, does that mean I'm dead?"

"Does this place look like heaven to you?" She giggled while shaking her head then turned to resume her cooking. Glancing around my surrounding, the place looks very familiar, it felt déjà vu. The pink roses that are never seen withered because she takes care of them diligently, the silky elegant tablecloth, the subtle smell of scented candle.

Right. Of course, this is eonni's apartment. I often visit her place where she usually tutors me and well... something more. Looking at her back, I recall how many sleepless nights I've been through, how I miss seeing her first thing when I wake up. After making love all night I'd wake up just like this, watching her back while she makes us breakfast.

Indeed, just like this. Our secret relationship, it all happened here. No eyes to judge, no ears to hear us, we can be ourselves in this enclosed space. I didn't realise I was in a trance until eonni stood before me snapping her fingers, "Hello? Is the Moon absence in the presence of the Sun?"

'Sun?... That's right, I have Solar now. But wait, what's happening here? Was my love with Solar all just a dream and this is a reality? Or was it the other way...'

"Byulie, I'll flick your head if you don't focus on me again." Eonni puffed her cheeks while crossing her arms, "Cute. I remember this too. She'll get mad whenever I don't pay attention to her, then I'll kiss-"

I leaned forward as I watch her close her eyes, but something in me felt painful, sorrow, what is this feeling? I paused for too long that she slowly opened her eyes, "Why? Can't give your ex-girlfriend even a morning kiss just because you have Professor Solar now?"

"Wait, how did you-"

"It's not a dream, Moonbyulah. You're not dead either. This is a void dimension between life and death."

"Eonni, why are you here then...? Just who are you?"

"Me? Some call me grim reaper... But you can say I'm an angel?"

"I thought so... You don't look like a grim reaper to me, you've always looked like an angel."

"Omo? Has your cheesiness reached a new level?" She smiled, pinching my cheek, "Come here and have a seat, I've cooked up a feast."

The smell of food laid out on the table were really tempting to resist. I've always loved her cooking, she's just a Ms. Perfect in everything she does. We sat and I started to chatter to make up for our lost time. As always, she'll sit while resting her cheeks in the palm of her hands watching me talk, listening to me tentatively.

"So... Do you love her more than me?" she shot a tricky question. I thought for a while as she studied my expression.

I opened both my palms, drawing a blank then I looked to her, having no doubt in my heart, I proudly said, "I love her, so much. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, eonni. I love you too. But all my life I've been nothing but hanging unto a selfish love. I always expect more from you thinking I am the only one fighting in this relationship, but the truth is, you are the only one fighting for us. I've done nothing but demanding."

Eonni reached out to my cheek, rubbing my tears that I didn't realise had dripped on my face. She shook her head, I also recognise that expression when she tried to hold back her tears.

"But eonni, Solar is different. She didn't fight this alone, neither did she let me fight this alone. She always held on to me though the world despised it, she stood her ground once her mind is set, and I found my own strength in her support. I feel that we have each other's back...And for that, she allowed me to grow, to mature into someone I've never been."