Feild Trip

Lilly's POV

"I can go!" I jump up and down in excitement seeing my signed permission slip. I hadn't even been home for five minutes after coming home from dance practice when father took me aside and said he had a surprise for me and handed me the slip. "Apparently," dad said looking to father who smiles at my excited face. This was awesome! I can't wait to see all the fish, and the dolphins, and maybe even a shark!

"I have to go on a sudden business trip for the night and your aunt is going to be keeping your dad busy all night with boring stuff in a workplace too dangerous for you. Echo's busy too and we only trust him over night so this is the best solution," father explains to me.

"Despite my opinion,"  dad said. Father took a deep intake of breath and looks at dad with a strained smile. "Water sprout? Could you go help you brother's set the table? I'm sure they will love to hear the news," Father said and I nodded excitedly leaving the room. I couldn't wait until I could show them! In fact I'm gonna go start packing for tomorrow now. I headed back in the direction I just came from and suddenly heard my parents saying hushed whispers.

"She will be fine," Father said and I look at the door. "Or she might not be," Dad whispers back. I quickly went to my room next door, a couple months ago I was trying a trick I saw on tv and found out when I put a cup to the wall I can actually make out what my parents are saying. I did this exact thing and listened in.

"She's not even going to the ocean," Father said. "Making small exceptions is how this stuff happens. Remember what mom said? Lilly has the potential to be more powerful than Nyad, she needs to stay away from anything in the ocean or he might find us," Who's this he dad was talking about? And why did he sound so scared? "He's dead firefly and your just being," "Don't call me paranoid Cole!" her dad raises his voice. "She's young she's safe even if he is alive he won't even be able to find us this far from the ocean," Father said in a calm tone he uses when scolding us. "She may be young, but so was your mother, so is Lilly and you just gave her name sake a ticket to the boat of death," I felt my heart beating loudly, drumming in my eat.

Was I sick? I knew our grandmother Lilly was sick when she was younger and it got the better of her when father was our age, but I didn't know how young she had been, or what had caused it, but it always made grampa Lou sad. Father didn't like talking about gramma and we kids learned not to talk about it or mention it.

Father goes quiet and I feel my panic bubbling as the seconds go by.

"My mother was gifted like our daughter is, but her power itself wasn't what caused it. My mother used too much at once before she had unlocked her true potential. Lilly isn't like that, she won't need to use that much before she's ready, before any of them are ready," Father said in a voice that sounded like a mix of crying and anger. "She's not going, I'm gonna drag Echo here and," Dad suddenly pauses and starts coughing. "Kai," Father said and my dad stops coughing. "I only want to protect her," Dad said. "And you are, but we got no choice Kai. If you want to be around to protect any of them we're going to need to do this," Father said. Dad was silent and I heard a small hiccup. "But what if he finds our daughter and uses her? I'm tainted, but she's pure," Dad said.

"Than he'll have to get through us," Father promises.

It was quiet and after a few minutes dad said. "Okay, I'll do it, for them,"

They left soon after and had left a foal taste in my mouth. What was all of that about? What were they talking about? What's dad going to do?

These questions plagued my mind and made me not feel excited for the trip anymore.

I hear a knock on my door and father comes in. "Lilly? Are you okay?" He asks and I realized I had been crying. "Is dad okay?" I asked. "Of course he is," Father said. "I hear him coughing, and I heard you say he's tainted and I'm pure. Is there something wrong with me?" I asked. Father pauses, and doesn't say anything which scares me. "How much did you hear?" He asks.