It's Okay To Care

Start from the beginning

"I have done everything. Let me spell it out for you, shall I? From the day I arrived, Marcel hasn't trusted me. From Day One, he's had his vampires ingest toxic vervain which, as you know, little sister, protects them from my mind control." He argued back.

Klaus grabbed the vampire that's still alive from the pile. "And this one - I'm gonna drain him of vervain, compel him to believe his mates found religion and moved to Utah, so that he can explain to Marcel why he lost three more vampires tonight."

He dragged the vampire into the house; Rebekah and I following behind him.

He let go of the vampire and threw his hands in the air. "Does anyone have any more questions? No? Good, because I have a question. Brooke."

This is the first time he has actually even dared to look me directly in the eyes since he arrived in New Orleans.

"What were you doing in the bloody French Quarter in the first place?"

I immediately felt the sudden rush of guilty again. I looked down, ashamed of my choices tonight.

"Answer me!" He screamed.

"Leave her be." Rebekah defended.

But before he could have a go at her I took a deep breath and stepped forward. I was now eye to eye with Klaus.

"You wanna know what I was doing? I was buying poison, so I could put your little baby out of its misery."

He didn't hesitate to run at me with full speed and pin me to the door by my neck. My feet weren't touching the floor and I was struggling to breath but I kept my cool and just kept staring him in the eye. He was trying to intimidate me but I wasn't going to let him affect me.

"Careful Klaus. I might start thinking you actually care." I chocked out.

I could tell my comment pissed him off even more but before he could do anything else, Rebekah charged at him. She pushed him off me and grabbed him by the shoulders.

"Keep your hands off her! She is pregnant, for God's sake!" She shouted as I regained my breath.

She took her hands off him but continued to scold him. "All of this bluster about not wanting a child, and then the second she tells you she's ready to get rid of it?"

I looked over and noticed the tears forming in his eyes and the rollercoaster of emotions on his face.

"It's okay to care. It's okay to want something. That's all Elijah was trying to do, all he's ever wanted for you. All we've ever wanted." Rebekah continued.

Klaus calmed down and sat down on the stairs with Rebekah sitting beside him.

"I gave Elijah to Marcel." Klaus blurted.

"What?" Rebekah and I said in unison.

"Marcel was nervous. It's bad enough one Original returned to town, but two? His crew was getting antsy. He wanted Elijah gone, so... I gave him a peace offering."

Rebekah looked at him in disbelief. "You bartered our brother?"

"I have a plan. Gain Marcel's trust, dismantle his empire, honor Elijah's wish that that baby be born. I am executing that plan the only way I know how. If you don't like it, there's the door. See if I care."

He made sure to look at me with his last sentence before getting up and leaving the room.

-

-

Later on, I went out on the porch to join Rebekah.

"You look defeated." I pointed out.

"Shouldn't I be?" She scoffed.

I shrugged "We know Marcel has Elijah. We can get him back now."

"You know if I cross Nik, there's still a coffin downstairs with my name on it."

I looked at her and couldn't help the smirk from escaping, earning myself a weird look from Rebekah. I reached into my jacket and pulled out something wrapped in a cloth.

Rebekah unfolded it to reveal the two silver daggers. "Oh my god."

"I found these on my first day here, I guess Klaus didn't hide them well enough. But now there's nothing stopping us from getting Elijah back."

Rebekah stared at me in awe before finally smiling.

There were a few minutes of silence before Rebekah spoke again. "He cares, you know."

"What?"

"Nik. He cares about you. I haven't seen him care about anyone like this in all the decades I've known him."

I looked down and lightly smiled to myself. Secretly hoping that maybe Rebekah could be right. And that's the thought I've gone to bed with.

-

-

The sound of quiet footsteps in my room woke me up. I slowly opened my eyes to see Klaus standing on the other side of the room, smelling the vial of wolfsbane from my bag.

"I didn't use it." I spoke up.

He looked up, slightly surprised. "You're awake."

"Light sleeper. You're heavy footsteps woke me up."

He lightly chuckled and then made his way over to the window.

"What stopped you? You could have been free of all of this... of me."

I sat up in my bed, realising how vulnerable he's willing to be with me right now.

"I wanted to."

He looked at me with betrayal in his eyes so I quickly continued what I wanted to say.

"At first.... I thought that maybe I didn't deserve a second chance. I thought I could go back to Mystic Falls and pretend like nothing happened. But that's not how life works, it's not the same as it was last year. My friends now know about vampires, half of them are vampires. And I have Rebekah and Elijah back now.... and I had you."

Klaus opened his mouth to speak but nothing seemed to come out. At first I thought that maybe he just doesn't care but then I realised that this silence proves his weakness; his feelings he's too scared to say out loud.

"When those vampires jumped me, I realised I wasn't just protecting myself anymore. I don't know what came over me, but all I knew was that I wouldn't let anyone hurt it." I explained, referring the baby.

"Ah, well then it's time to fight." He replied with a serious face, unconsciously looking down to my stomach.

He moved to leave but I spoke up before he could.

"This whole thing with Marcel - the deal you have with the witches, trying to take him down, take what's his. Rebekah told me you two loved each other like family. What happened?"

He debated for a second if he should tell me but I'm glad he actually chose to tell me. "I made Marcel everything that he is. I treated him like a son. And when my father chased me and my family from New Orleans a hundred years ago, we believed Marcel was killed – we each mourned him, in our own way. Yet, when I returned, I found not only had he survived, he had thrived. Instead of seeking us out, instead of sticking together as one, he made a choice to take everything my family had built and make it his own. Now, he is living in our home, he is sleeping in our beds. That 'M' he stamps everywhere... it's not for 'Marcel'. It's for 'Mikaelson'. I want it all back, and if I have to push him out to get it, then that's exactly what I'll do."

I smirked, slightly finding his ambition attractive. I knew he'd do anything in his power to do this and to me, this was sexy as hell.

-

-

AN

- Okay so second chapter out this week, I'm actually proud of myself. I finally found the motivation to carry on writing this story so there will be a lot more episodes coming out soon :)