An Honest Mistake

The next morning, (y/n) wakes up and looks over to see Annebeth still sleeping, holding her teddy bear close to her. She smiles at her daughter and gets up, walks over to her and kisses the top of her head before she goes over to grab a couple of cups of coffee.

After pouring the two cups, (y/n) takes them and walks over to Arthur’s tent as he starts to wake up. "Morning, cowboy." She said, smiling. He looks up at her and smiles back. "Morning, sweetheart." Arthur greets and (y/n) blushes at this. "Thought you'd might like some coffee." She said as she hands one of the coffee cups to him, he accepts.

"Thank you." He said and he sips his coffee. (Y/n) sips her own then noticed on the little table there was a jar with a peculiar flower inside of it. "What's that flower, Arthur? I've never seen one like that before." She asked as she points at it. He looks over at it and gives a small smile. "Oh, it's something my ma always liked. Kind of a...good luck charm, I suppose. They only grow out west....and parts of California and Oregon. I always try to grab one when I'm out that way." He explained and (y/n) smiles as she sits down on his cot next to him.

"That's nice." She said. "I don't remember too much from back then. I was so young when she passed, but I remember that for some reason." He said. "Aww, that's sweet." She said as Arthur smiles, shyly, at this. "What about your father? You've never really talk about him." (Y/n) said and Arthur shrugs as he looks down.

"My father was a right ol' bastard." Arthur said then he looks over his shoulder and nods to one of the pictures behind him. "That's him, there." He said and (y/n) looks over and sees a picture of a man, with a long mustache and wearing Arthur’s hat, holding his prisoner number.

"Ah, so that's who you got your angry, sullen face from." (Y/n) teased and Arthur scoffs as he rolls his eyes. "Shut up." He said and she giggles. "I'm only playin' with ya." (Y/n) said, smiling, at him.

She looks at the other picture and sees that the picture was of Hosea, Dutch and Arthur, all of them much younger. Well, Hosea looked about the same but Dutch and Arthur looked different, mainly cause both of them didn't have facial hair.

Hosea was sitting in a chair on the left, Dutch was standing next to him while Arthur was sitting in another chair across from Hosea.

"It's odd to think, at one point, it was just you, Hosea and Dutch." (Y/n) said as she nods towards the picture. Arthur looks at the picture and chuckles a bit. "Yeah, sometimes I'm amazed at how much this gang has grown over the years." He said. "Abigail told me once that you used to steal from the rich and gave to the poor." (Y/n) said. "Yeah, Dutch wanted to be the Robin Hood of this country. Help people who needed it." Arthur replied.

"Why did you stop doing that?" She asked, curiously, and Arthur shrugs a bit. "The gang grew...and we...needed money to help take care of everyone. So we just....started to rob banks and keep the money for ourselves." He replied and (y/n) gives a sympathetic look to him.

"Do you...miss how it was back then?" She asked him. "Sometimes. Seemed so simple back then." Arthur replied then he looks over at her. "What about you? You miss how your life was before?" Arthur asked her. "I do miss my parents. They weren't perfect but they were good people." She explains. "I remember my father teaching me how to read...he tried to teach me how to fish but I was never really good at it." (Y/n) said and Arthur laughs at this.

"And my mother taught me how to speak German and how...to be a wife, I guess you'd call it. Cooking, cleaning, sewing..." (y/n) said then she smirks a bit. "I actually remember one fishing trip my father took me on. He was trying to teach me and for awhile I was bored. I was about to tell him that but then I felt a tug on my pole. I reeled it in, getting excited that I finally caught my fist fish, but it turned out, somehow, was a turtle." She explained and Arthur laughs.