A Fisher of Men

"Whoa! That was fun boys, real fun. I can see why they call you the professionals of the outfit." Sean exclaimed after he, Charles, John and Arthur escaped the lawmen. They had stopped the train like they planned and stole a good amount of money. That is until the lawmen came and the men got into a gun fight with the lawmen before they made the call to get away.

"Shut up." Arthur grumbles at Sean. "At least we made some money…and what did I get? Gotta be a hundred dollars here, very nice." Sean laughs. "And you weren’t even invited." Arthur pointed out, referring to how Sean basically invited himself to be part of the robbery.

"What now?" John asked. "We still need a real big take...enough for us to get out of here." Arthur said. "Was that a set up? Law turned up real fast." John sai, referring to the lawmen. "I don’t know. I don’t think so. I’m starting to get nervous." Arthur said, shaking his head.

"Think they followed us from Blackwater?" Charles asked Arthur. "They found me already near Horseshoe, but…I think this lot was just locals." Arthur said, shrugging. "I hope so. I’m gonna head into Valentine…see if I can get something started there." John said. "Good idea. Either way, we should all go it alone right now. You know the deal…don’t be followed." Arthur said. "Ah, course not, boss." Sean calls out and he, Charles and John gallop off towards the camp.

Arthur, on the other hand, had to head off a different direction, heading towards the Downes' home to collect the debt for Strauss. It was getting a bit late but Arthur wanted to get this done and over with.

Sometime later, Arthur turns towards this small family house and see a man in the fenced up garden that was next to the house, seemed that he was working on the garden. He dismounts his horse and walks towards the garden.

"Mr. Thomas Downes…" he calls out and the man looks up at him. "Yep, that’s me." he said. "…you owe me money." Arthur said in a low threatening voice and Thomas starts to jump back at this. "Oh, no-no, I’m…I’m…" he stammers as Arthur comes closer.

"Come here, you maggot." Arthur growls as he walks into the garden. "Please, sir…I’m…I’ll…" Thomas said as he holds up his hoe. "Really? Threaten me, would you?" Arthur asked,  angrily, as he grabs the hoe and tossed aside. "Please…I have a family, sir…please." Thomas begs and Arthur grabs him. "I don’t care about your family." Arthur growls and he starts to punch the man.

"I’m working…I’m working as hard as I can." Thomas cries after Arthur stops punching him. "Why’d it have to come to this, huh? You ain’t such a do-gooder, are you? If you’re running out on debts." Arthur said and he punches Thomas again until he falls backwards. "I’m not running anywhere. I…I…I’m doing my best for you." Thomas stammers as he tries to recover from the beating.

He gets up with the help of his fence and begins coughing until Arthur grabs him and turns him to face him. "You borrowed money from my business partner, Herr Strauss. You owe him. You took the money. He wants it back. What’s not to understand?" Arthur asked, angrily. "Please...I-I still.." Thomas wheezes but Arthur shoves him against the fence.

"Where’s our money?" Arthur asked him. "I don’t have it." Thomas said and Arthur looks towards the house. "Sell your place." Arthur said. "We already owe more than it’s worth." Thomas said. "Then sell your wife, or your family, or something. We ain’t your idea of charity. Is that clear?" Arthur said, firmly, as Thomas begins to cough, violently, and falls to the ground.

Mrs Downes and her son run towards him. "Thomas." She said, worried, as Arthur walks away from Thomas. "What you looking at?" he asked Mrs Downes as she stares at Arthur while running towards the garden. "Thomas." she said, worried, again. "I said what you looking at, woman?" Arthur asked her and she stops and stands in front of Arthur.