I don't know you

Lizzie POV

...

„I'm sorry miss. Do I know you?" she asks me and I could hear my own heart shatter....

No,no,no,no this can't be happening. T-This isn't right. Please let this be another nightmare, please don't let this happen.

She glanced down at my hand again and pulled it away which broke me even more. Her warm touch left me cold and broken-hearted.

„I think you got the wrong room." she added glancing at the door and back to me.

I didn't say anything. I was in shock. Tears fell down my face and I stepped back. My lips quivered and I don't know what to do.

„Hey do you need anything? I can call a nurse if you don't feel well." she cares still even though she doesn't remember me at all.

„n-no. I-I'll be Fine." I answered and she tilted her head confused.

„Here. Take this." she poured me a glass of water and stretched her hand out. I glanced down at it and didn't respond for a moment until I took her glass drinking the water down in seconds.

„I'm Aubrey by the way." she added and my heart breaks. She doesn't remember me at all. Not even my name.

„Lizzie." I answered with a raspy voice.

„it's a beautiful name...It seems like you know me from somewhere. Can you tell from where?" she asks looking me up and down confused. Like she wants to puzzle something together but there is a puzzle piece missing.

„I-I'm your gi- I mean Professor." I answered and she shrugged her brows.

„Sorry but why is my professor visiting me? I know I've been gone for months but I'll do my assignments so you didn't need to come here if you wanted to tell me."

„N-no it's not that. I-I mean. You don't need to stress about it." she narrowed her eyes at me.

„Then why are you here?" she asked sounding a bit angry.

„Sorry i need to leave." I breathed out seeing me walking away as the only option now.

„W-wait. Hold on!"
She yelled after me but I didn't turn around until I heard a body crash down. I turned around hectic and saw her not in her bed. I walked around seeing her on the ground trying to get up.

„Oh god. Let me help you." I offered placing my hands under her arms to pull her up.

„I'm sorry. I got up for the first time. I didn't try it yesterday." she winced as she sat down and I glanced down at her leg. I tried to check if she was alright but she didn't let me.

„I'm fine. Just leave it be." she huffed out sliding back in her bed to creat a distance between us.

„Does something hurt? Do I need to get a doctor?" I asked hectic looking around and at her fragile body.

„No I don't need one. All I need is to remember and I can't remember shit!" she raised her voice at me leaning back in her bed as she closed her eyes.

„S-sorry for raising my voice at a stranger. I shouldn't scream at my professor. I'm just overwhelmed and I can't figure out what's missing."
She breathed out starting to hyperventilate and I noticed that she was on the verge of a panic attack.

The fact that she called me a stranger hurts even more. I don't care that she screamed at me. I deserve to be yelled at but her not knowing me hurts like hell.

„No it's fine. Don't let this get to your head. Come on let's breathe together I notice that you're out of balance." I took her hands in mine and she looked at me taking deep breaths just like I do.