How to Become a Major CEO

Comenzar desde el principio

"Both of those sound horrendous."

"I told the board my plan."

"Did you tell them the cost?"

"Yes," Magnus said.

"And?"

"One of the old dudes said this: 'we're on the Titanic, Mr. Bane. We're going to drown right now, so if you want to try and grab a life jacket and try to save us, you go right ahead.' I guess they really are desperate."

"So what time are you coming back?"

"Within an hour."

"You're not going to become one of those workaholic CEOs are you?"

"I give you permission to put in my notice for me if I become a workaholic CEO."

"Don't test me," Alec warned.

"I wouldn't dare."

"Alright. Just hurry up and get back here."

They said their goodbyes and Alec fell asleep again.

........

Alec had a marvelous breakfast prepared the next morning before they both had to go to work.

"Why don't you quit?" Magnus asked as he flew around the kitchen to make his coffee.

"Because I need something to do," Alec said.

"Come work for me," Magnus said.

"Don't I do enough for you?" Alec asked, gesturing to the elaborate spread. Magnus finally sat down.

"Of course. But you could be my official sanity maintainer."

"What—"

"You'll bring me back to reality when I loose my mind," Magnus said.

"I think I'd loose my mind first," Alec laughed.

"Well, if you're not busy today," Magnus said, "you should stop by."

"Will security let me?"

"Oh come, Alec. I'm not the President." Magnus looked back at his plate and smiled. "Yet."

........

The morning had been busy with meetings, introductions, and a ton of emails.

The phone on his desk had been ringing all morning so when it rang around 1, Magnus answer begrudgingly.

"Yes?"

"It's Clary Fray, sir. Your secretary."

"Yes," Magnus said. "You told me that when you called at 8. Again at 8:43— What do you need?"

"There's man here to see you."

"Can I have a name please?" Magnus asked.

"One moment, sir—" Magnus could hear a muffled conversation but then the door to his office opened.

"Sir," Clary's voice called as he started to put the phone down, "he just decided to go in."

"Thank you, Miss Fray." Magnus hung up.

"Am I interrupting anything?" Alec asked as he wandered into the room.

"You're fine," Magnus said. He stood up from behind his desk and gestured grandly at the room. "What do you think?"

"Fuchsia and electric blue would both look horrid in here," Alec said.

"So what do you think?" Magnus asked.

"Light gray walls, dark blue furniture with yellow accents," Alec said.

"I didn't know you were so fashion forward," Magnus said. Alec rolled his eyes. He was still wearing his work uniform of black on black.

Magnus' office was stationed high up on the 60th floor of the Abrahm and Sons skyscraper. His office and the surrounding secretary's desks and conference rooms took up most of the floor. One entire wall was dedicated to a ceiling to floor window that reminded Magnus of the apartment. It was pretty much devoid of furniture except for a large desk and a larger conference table near the window.

Alec paced around the room under Magnus' watchful eye.

"So how's the company?" Alec asked.

"A disaster," Magnus said. "But it should be fun. It'll give me something to do."

"A puzzle," Alec said, stopping at Magnus' desk.

"Exactly," Magnus said.

"Anyways," Alec said, hopping up onto the desk. "I've been doing my own thinking."

"Dangerous—"

"I've realized that I don't really know you at all," Alec said. "Not nearly as much as I should considering I've lived with you for a decent amount of time."

"So what are you suggesting?" Magnus asked.

"A first date," Alec said.

Magnus raised an eyebrow.

"As if, that first day, you gave me your number and just went on with your life," Alec explained.

"Alright," Magnus agreed.

"So I'll text you?" Alec asked.

Magnus smiled.

Alec hopped off the desk and gave Magnus a quick kiss on the cheek before leaving the office feeling incredibly smug.

Alec: Give this address to your cab driver: 3950 34th Street

Magnus: Where are we going?

Alec: Dress casually

Magnus: You're meeting me there?

Alec: First date.

Magnus: I haven't been on a first date since like high school

Alec: Sounds like a story. Tell me at dinner.

Magnus: Deal.

Alec: 7:30, Magnus.

Magnus: I'll be there.